Revision TKR - This Time Next Week.....

Posted , 10 users are following.

Good evening everyone, serial lurker signing in redface

As the title indicates, this time next week my Revision TKR should be complete and I will hopefully be resting in the arms of Morpheus in preparation for the hard slog which I have no doubt will start first thing the next morning!

I have never been an anxious patient, I've always been very pro-active (still am really) in my care and surgery, but I can honestly say Ive never EVER been so anxious about an operation as I am about this one.....Im scared stiff guys, and I dont say that easily - I've always been the informed, pragmatic one.....not this time!! Ive had a couple of meltdowns today alone, and I've still got a week to go.....

Anyhow, thats where I am just now, hope everyone is having a comfortable evening xx

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Terri,  I am so sorry to hear this.  When was your TKR and why the revision?
    • Posted

Hi Susan, thanks for replying. My initial TKR was March 6th 2015. For the first few months it was pretty much a textbook recovery, but then I started to get "new" pain, unlike what I'd experienced pre-op. Many, many consultations and tests have led us to the diagnosis of Aseptic premature loosening - basically the Tibial prosthesis has come loose, for some or other reason which we cant ascertain. No option for me but to get it all stripped out and start again......

• Posted

Hey Terri,I know exactly how you feel.  I don't know quite how I managed it. And I still can't believe it.  But I sure did do it.

i think we lapse into unconscious mode when we feel overwhelmed and autopilot takes over. After that we just get carried along because we know there is no turning back.

Arrabest

• Posted

Thanks Mike, good to know that people come out the other side! I know what you mean about autopilot - its my go-to coping mechanism! The facade slipped a bit today, but shoulders are squared, chin is back up and Im ready to face the next 7 days - at least thats what I'm telling myself !smile Thanks for your supportive words x

• Posted

Hello Terri i had mine done in November and very glad it was done, i accually have better mobility now. I got a nerve block and epidural before surgery and that is the only way to go and i also was put out.  To me if was better because i knew what to expect, i had a little more pain than the first time and a bigger scar.  You will do fine just keep on moving.  Let me know how you will do. Prayers your way
    • Posted

Hi April and thanks for replying. I have prepared myself for a bigger scar, at the end of the day its a means to an end - but to be honest I've been worried about the pain - even my Surgeon keeps emphasising how big, lengthy and painful the procedure is....he wants me to try an epidural but I have a spinal curvature which makes it nigh on impossible to get the needle in....I'll just have to wait and see how the Anaesthetist wants to play it on "The Big Day"!

• Posted

Geez Terri, how long ago did you have your tkr and why the revision? Debi
    • Posted

Hi Debi, the primary TKR was March 6th  2015, and apart from a few months right at the beginning Ive had severe pain along with some instability in the joint ever since - had a whole raft of diagnostic tests done and its all pointing to Aseptic loosening of the prosthetic joint, and the only solution is revision.
    • Posted

Oh Terri, I'm so sorry. And I apologize for asking. I didn't see your other answer. I am sure there are nerves running rampant, but do your best to be positive. When it's over you will look back and wonder why you were anxious. You are strong and will get through this. Do your pt, don't hit the therapist, and think you are one day closer to being painfree.

• Posted

I know how u feel. It was the best decision I have ever made. U r going to be fine. I do a lot of praying.

Make sure u follow your after care doing PT. It is so important.

Think positive and know how much better it is going to be afterwards.

Have a blessed day!

• Posted

Thank you Mary Kay, your words mean a lot to me. I keep telling myself iits all going to be so much better later on, and i know that the more  put in to my recovery, e.g physio etc, the better my outcome will be. I dont even know why Im having such a wobble about whats coming - maybe because Ive already had 2 TKRs so I know how brutal it can be...

Thanks for your support, it means a lot xx

• Posted

Thats why God invented scotch and wine. Being told to relax is like being told to fly.....it ain't easy. You will do just fine...take a deep breath and don't be afraid to let out a scream when things seem more than you can handle. Tomorrow at this time you will be telling us about pain you ate going through but how pleased you are that's its over. Just re.ember, you don't have to eat your veggies if you don't want and ask for seconds of ice cream, cake and pie

• Posted

I'm having tkr next week and I'm scared too. I can't imagine what revision would be like. Good surgeons are amazing so praying for the best for you.

• Posted

Hi terri . . I remember your original TKR . it was just a couple of months after mine.  . so sorry you are having to go through this, but here's hoping that this time everything goes well and you can finally start to get your life back!  It must have been a long two years for you. . . I'm sure the waiting is driving you mad. I'm not going to say it's the worst part of it, because we TKR patients know all about what the worst thing is, but once the inevitable starts, I'm sure you'll find strength and true grit again, like the first time!  Just be kind to yourself, and make damn sure that everybody else is too!  love to you 

• Posted

Hi Terri , I had my Tkr last March 14, 2016.  Still in pain blah blah blah. I really feel for you. Hold onto the fact that u made it thru the first one n hopefully this one coming up will not be as rough on you. My surgeon ordered a mri of my lower back, said we had to start someplace. Then went went to neurosurgeon with the pain going thru my inner n back of thigh. Then started getting pain in middle back n neck. Neither Doctor saw anything from those tests..... And we wonder why insurance is so costly??? Now I have to go to pt for my neck, however that has let up some, so maybe I'll skip it.  I understand your frustrations. Ask the doc to get something for your nerves in the mean time. Good luck to you girl. Healing prayers going your way 🌬🌬 🍀🍀 👼👼

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.