Rezum about to be approved by NICE in UK.

Posted , 5 users are following.

While the operation – called transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP) – is effective, it can lead to loss of sexual function, bleeding and incontinence.

The steam treatment, called Rezum, simply shrinks the prostate with few side effects. The procedure, performed under local anaesthetic and sedation, involves injecting nine-second bursts of steam into the prostate, via a thin tube inserted into the urethra.

The steam is injected at 1cm intervals, killing enough prostate tissue to shrink the enlarged gland. 

Surgeons at Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust in London and Hampshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust have trialled the procedure on 150 men, with remarkable results.

Professor Hashim Ahmed, a consultant urological surgeon at Imperial, said other hospitals are poised to roll out the treatment as soon as they get the okay from health watchdog NICE.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hey buddy.  I thought that Rezum was all ready approved in the UK.  It is very surprise ing to see the US had it approved before you guys did.  Being that then were doing trails around the same time.  I think it's a good thing.  It gives guys another procedure to pick from.  Have a great day  Ken

• Posted

It is being done but this is to make it an approved NHS procedure. I assume that it is as it costs less than the laser procedures or TURP. Also the shorter hospital stay.

I have never been convinced  that jets of steam can be as accurate as GL or HoLep lasers. Also with tissue presumably destroyed there will be nothing to check for cancer cells.

• Posted

Thank you for the reply.  But if you don't have no sign of cancer why worry about having the tissue checked.  There not going to put it back.  I watch a video on Rezum.  The doctor said that the cancer of the prostate is forms on the outer tissue that is why they can feel it when they check But he did say that if you get cancer in the in side of the prostate that is what the rezum will kill.  If there is any cancer cells there The Rezum will kill them.  Ken

• Posted

They don't want to test for cancer first as that is another expense. If the Rezum kills it  that is good.

• Posted

Hi Derek,

Good to her that there is another method been given approvel and hope it gives long lasting 

outcomes.

• Posted

A lot of papers featured it. If you have not read any the Daily Mail Health section featured it today as well on its front page in our area.
    • Posted

Back to the age of steam :-) You still had the best procedure in my opinion, HolLep has precision and I don't see that in shots of steam being fired into your prostate. It has had a few bad comments on the Forum. I did not take in if the steam jets are guided by ultrasound or some means. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.