Rezum and Aquablation

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does anyone know if there is a difference between Rezum and Aquabaltion? They both use sterile steam, There is a lot of information about Rezum but not much about Aquabaltion.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

According to google, aquablation uses high pressure water jet, Rezum uses water steam.

Seems to be very recent technique, going through clinical trials.

• Posted

I believe there is a trial going on in my area in Albany, NY. I have an appt this fall with the uro doc who does that as well as urolift to see if I am a suitable candidate for either.
  • Posted

John,

From my research the Aquablation system uses a water jet not steam. Any form of heat applied to the prostate can result in tissue swelling requiring a catheter until the swelling goes down. Also, Aquablation uses ultrasound imaging for precise control of the area treated. 

"The Aquablation System delivers a high-velocity saline stream (the AquaBeam®wink under precise electromechanical control and live ultrasound guidance to ablate prostatic glandular tissue without the production of heat. Using the real-time transrectal ultrasound image and an integrated planning station, the target region for excision is registered within the prostate and the target tissue contour and depth are programmed by the surgeon. The surgeon guided AquaBeam ablates the prostatic tissue accurately following a preprogrammed routine, and the ablated prostatic tissue is simultaneously collected for post-procedure analysis."

Rezum works, but it can be painful and requires catheterization until the tissue swelling goes down. Also, it takes time for the treated tissue to die off, so relief is not immediate. The Aquablation system uses a water jet approach to destroy the prostate tissue immediately, so relief should be much faster. Also, the tissue is sent to the lab for analysis.

I could be wrong about this but it appears that Aquablation would be the better system.

Tom

• Posted

Thanks Tom

But which of the two would less likely cause one to have Retrograde Ejaculation? The Rezum is almost certain not to cause RE. I don't know about the the Aquablation if it causes RE.

Thanks

John

• Posted

John,

I would have a PAE first before considering either Rezum or Aquablation. I have not seen any information about RE from Aquablation so this would require more research. As the Aquablation cuts away prostate tissue with a stream of water rather than cutting with a loop or plasma buttom, it might result in RE - it is still removing tissue. Again, more research would be required. PAE is always the first choice - most effective, fewest side effects.

Tom

• Posted

Hi Tom

I have done a PAE and unfortunately it was not successful I still cannot urinate on my own except with a catheter. I want to consider a procedure that will not give me RE. I understand that the REZUM is very painful but will very less likely to cause RE.

• Posted

John,

Sorry to hear about your issues. PAE is almost always effective. Do you know why it wasn't? Do you have a large median lobe that is extending into the bladder? Before doing anything else you need to know exactly what is going on and why you are blocked. 

We have not yet mentioned Urolift. Have you investigated that procedure?

Tom

• Posted

Hi Tom

Yes I think because I have a very large median lobe extending to the bladder like you say. I am not a candidate for Urolift because of the large median lobe. Yes, I am going to investigate before I jump to the Rezum.

Thanks

John

• Posted

It seems to me that these are all TURPs whether you use a scapel, a laser of whatever color, a hot or cold probe, steam, or a butter knife. The differences cluster around their likelyhood of causing damage to otherwise healthy tissue, the likelyhood of long term unwanted side effects, their long term effectiveness, and the trauma involved in actually having the procedure carried out on you e.g. how painful is it, and how long does that pain last. Reading the posts here will fillun much, but nit all of this matrix.

Neal

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.