REZUM for BPH symptoms

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am now six months out from my REZUM treatment in October of 2019 and my BPH symptoms are worse now then they were prior to treatment. They never got better and I had to be on a catheter for two weeks, not three days. Since then, I have heard from my Uro and another Uro that the REZUM treatment is not recommended by a lot of urologist because it is not sure and it is a temporary fix at best. I would certainly not recommend the REZUM treatment as I have had no success from it whatsoever. If anybody has had good luck with the treatment, I would really like to hear about it.

Regards,

Vern

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I had the Rezum two months ago and do see an improvement in my urine flow, also, I am waking up less to urinate at night which was my main concern. I consider the procedure a success but should also mention I had a massive urinary infection right after my procedure which antibiotics took care of. Still slightly bitter regarding the infection. Should also mention that still not able to hold my urine completely. Slight dribble or 'leakage' when urgently running to the rest room to pee. I don't believe the physician and/or manufacturer was completely truthful regarding the potential side effects and potential complications. I believe the side effects and complications are under reported and swept under the rug.. Grrrrrr!!

• Posted

vernon70267,

I am sorry to hear that your Rezum did not work out well for you.

I had my Rezum at the end of November 2018 and everything went perfectly and I would recommend Rezum to other men, provided that they carefully chose the urologist that does their Rezum so that they have sufficient experience with the new procedure.

First, with the help of who I call the family-member-MD, I carefully researched the various BPH procedures that were available to me and we decided on Rezum as a minimally invasive and first-try procedure before doing a more invasive GLEP or TURP.

Second, I carefully researched the various urologists available to me and chose one who was recommended to me on this forum, was a urologist for over 25 years, and had done Rezums for over 2 years. The family-member-MD recommended at least 50 Rezums done.

My Rezum involved 10 injections (4 per lateral lobe and 2 median lobe), was done under 1 Valium and 1 Percocet, and was followed by a Foley for 2 weeks. My recovery followed the standard recovery timeline. I started to open at 4 weeks and was well opened by 3 months.

Before my Rezum, I was in complete retention, had 2 liters of pee removed and I was self-cathing for over 10 months. Because of bladder damage, my PVR's took about 8 months to get below 100 ml and now they are consistently under 60 ml which is good for my age.

Before my Rezum, my IPSS was 28 which is severe BPH. Now my IPSS is 6 which is very good. My life has returned back to normal and I am doing all of the outdoors and athletic activities that I was doing before my AUR event at 2 liters of pee removed.

Rezum has worked for many more men than it has not worked for. My recommendation is that instead of complaining about your Rezum not working on this forum, you could identify what went wrong and why it went wrong and post that instead.

We could all learn something from that information. Like my recommendations to carefully chose your urologist before doing a Rezum. Right now, your post has little substance that is helpful for us.

Regards,

Steve

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.