REZUM--HAVE YOU HAD THIS DONE???????

Posted , 385 users are following.

I had a nice conversation today with the President of the "Urology Times". He was telling me that there is a "New Procedure" that has been approved called the "REZUM SYSTEM".  The company that makes the system is called "NXThera, Inc".  You can google them up and lots of stuff comes up.  I called them for a referral and they gave me a Doctor in Minnepolis that has done it over 50 times now.  I called his nurse and she said he would call me back and answer my questions on monday.  As you guys probably know Doctors are not very good at returning calls but we'll see what happens.  Iam not very good at explaining how the procedure works but basically they take the device and put it up the uretha and vaporize the prostate cells which kills them.  It works with high pressure "steam" that at a certain degree will kill the prostate tissue.  My question for you guys is there anybody out there that has had it done to them and how are you getting along and are there "side effects", etc etc?????

35 likes, 5645 replies

5645 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I most definately will pass along any information that I think will be of interest. I presume you have read all my posts and know that I did try a minumly invasive procedure called TUMT ( trans urethral microwave thermaltherapy) which looks similar to this new method since tissue is removed with microwave energy (you essentially get cooked) took about a half hour and is an inpatient procedure. Requires a foley for a couple of days and there was much bladder spasms (quite uncomfortable) after that things did quiet down and took about six weeks before I was in the clear. However I was still required to take tamsulosin during that time and for maby a month or two more. The return to normal function took about two more months and at the nine month mark I was back in th ER due to retention. So it was a waste of time. My current Dr. explained that at least for now most of these types of procedures are short lived and are great money makers for providers.  
    • Posted

James;  I just want to say Iam truly sorry for your horrible experience of the TUMT.   Its just a shame that there isn't something out there that works 100% of the time with "no side effects".  Why does the Good Lord punish us like this??????
    • Posted

It is a shame about some of these procedures. But this one looks pretty  good and there aare very few side effect.  The main thing is that it works  on many men and it does not cause dry orgasm. Which alot do.  We has men should feel complete.  This procedure goes into the prostate with a little needle and kills the cells inside.  It does not burn laser or core the prostate from the inside of the urethra.  And with your doctors comment of course he would say that because he what to do what he offers.  But we pick what we want and then deal with the out come..Ken 
    • Posted

Ken; See my comment to Tom above.  I spoke to the Doctors nurse and there is a real possibility of retro grade ejaculation with this particular procedure.  Iam going to speak to the Doctor on monday and hear it from the Horse's mouth. He has done this procedure exactly 62 times so he does have a "track record" with it. 
    • Posted

Well you may be right and you may also be a return customer. I wish you enduring success with the choice you have made.
    • Posted

ChuckP I forgot to mention the lasting blood in semen. Takes a while to clear up so don't be surprised if your partner gets alarmed the first time out.
    • Posted

Chucks   I have read some of the stuff on it and they go around it.  They say sexual function will stay the same.  That does not say much.  I sent a e-mail no answer yet.  I was on one site and tried to read the trails but could not get to them  We will seee if this is good or not or if it's a turp with another name  Ken  
    • Posted

I had a Uro-lifft and it works great...Going on a year.  My prostate even got smaller  Take care  Ken
    • Posted

I just noticed an error in my post about the TUMT. It's an outpatient procedure, done in the Dr's office. NOT inpatient. 
    • Posted

Chuck - I agree with you whole heartedly!....It seems with the High Ratio of Enlarged Prostate's and BPH, the medical researchers and doctors would have discovered/determined  the very best and successful treatments.....I'm finding that urologists can't agree on the best method of treatment and almost anything they try ends up having serious side effects and long-term complications...The incidence of success of any treatment seems small as compared to the number of patients who are suffering.......

• Posted

Can you tell me the name of the procedure which uses the needle and kills the cells without doing damage to the prostate?
    • Posted

It's called rezum and so far except for severe pain extreme pain while doing procedure takes about nine minutes in office I'm starting to feel much better tommorrow will be four weeks I had a quantity of blood in my first ejaculation which I'm told is normal

• Posted

I had the Rezum treatment done on September 7, and they gave me general anethesia so I did not feel anything.  I had no complications from the anathesia, and besides wearing a foley catherer for two days had no pain.  My flow has really improved, so I am very pleased with this procedure.
    • Posted

REZUM is the procedures that does that It makes the prostate smaller  Ken
    • Posted

You are fortunate your doctor gave you the option of a general - first I've heard that did. I've spoken with two doctors about Rezum and both only offer a local so they can do it in their office. Both claim it's 'virtually painless', but neither has had it done themselves biggrin

The opinions/comments I've seen from men who have had the procedure range from mildly uncomfortable to very painful, with more on the painful side. While that would not preclude me from the procedure, I get the impression that because it's still relatively new, the doctors are still working through the best ways to perform this procedure.

• Posted

I was also thinking that it was going to be a local, but I am glad that it was a general.  I went to the surgical center and had it done and it was quick and painless.  I would inquire about whether you can receive general, and if you can then I recommend it.  No negative after effects from the general.  If you are in the Houston area, Houston Metro Urology is who I went through, Dr. Ogletree.
    • Posted

Yes General is the way to go.  I all ways have that when I have something done.  Never had a problem  Ken
    • Posted

My Rezum procedure was done late Aug 2016. This is day 36 and  I'm still in recovery having cycled through 5 Foleys (3.5 day with Foley, 3.5 day without Foley). Doc says self cath is not recommended for me. He may change his mind if this recovery goes no much longer. During days when I'm 'Foley free' my urgency, frequency and viod issues are slowly improving but still I'm not there yet. 

Here's my story with respect to the Rezum procedure (It was moderately painful but by no means intolerable):

Two hours lapsed between entering the clinic, doing the Rezum procedure and leaving the clinic.  I was in a mild medicated state when I left the clinic which required the assistance of my wife to get me home (God bless her).  The actual procedure took +/- 20 minutes.  On a pain scale of 1 to 10 (with 10 being worst), I experienced a 5.  The vapor injections felt more weird than painful.  I believe my tolerance for pain is generally high although when I was a boy I used to faint when given a shot; I’m over that now smile 

Just after entering the clinic, I was given a pill to reduce my anxiety.  During the procedure I was given two locals to reduce the pain, one in my butt and one in my rectum adjacent to the procedure area (no real pain from either of these shots, just kind of weird.)   Six vapor injections were made; each 9 second duration.  I was awake during the entire procedure.  In fact, I was alert enough to crack a jokes with the Rezum team; I often manage periods of anxiety using humor.    I thought that was fun.  

Present during the procedure was my urologist Doc who executed the operation and the nurse (both great people).  Also present were two representatives from the Rezum company that witnessed and provided guidance.  I felt good to be surrounded by experts.

I left the clinic with an antibiotic and a 7-day prescription for pain (codeine).  I also left with a Foley (a catheter with a bag strapped to my leg).   I took the codeine for two days; it helped me sleep.  But really, I did not need the codeine for pain and I tossed it  out after several days (it made me itch which I though was weird).

One thing that I'm happy about is that I had this done in retirement (I'm 65 yo). I would not have done well going to work with a Foley.  Now days, every day is essentially a weekend so I can lay around the house with my Foley actiing like a lazy butt watching my wife's to-do list for me get longer and longer, ha!!!

Keep smiling. Good luck. Take care.

• Posted

I'm about same shape only I bought a new / old house and I'm moving 70 years plus of my moms stuff and 46 years of my wife and my stuff it's going slow because there is simply so much to move I went on flomax seven days after procedure I find the side effects intolerable so I switched back to finesteride but I think swelling has went down so I'll take a finesteride tommorrow then I'm going without it. I think I have had a good result although startled by a lot of blood during sex on Friday some said normal I'm anxious to see if blood is still present after next climax except for a huge amount of pain during procedure I haven't had much except a sting in my rectal area and down penis when I pee still there but way less

• Posted

I had the rezum procedure done . Just before the procedure I was given a Valium and an oxycodone , the procedure was a little uncomfortable but was not really painful . Having the catheter on for 4 days was the painful part of the whole procedure .
    • Posted

I had my Rezum procedure done on Dec.5 this year in Cleveland Clinic with similar experience. I am 70 years old with generally good health otherwise. I was given local plus antibiotic beforehand and the process was really fast, finished in about 10 minutes. 6 steam shots, 3 on one side, 2 on the other and one in middle. I didn't really feel the pain but apprehended about the extreme pressure during the process.

My wife drove me home with me carrying the folio as my sidekick. My urologist's order was to keep the folio for 3 days, then self-catheter is expected. Throughout he gave me the impresssion that it was such a easy procedure I can go back to normal life once the folio is removed. After 3 days of self-catherization I went to the exercise class with weight, band and other routines. After that I found myself unable to catheterize. My urethra was swollen and rejected the catheter. I called the doctor's office and the nurse practitioner advised me to go to the emergency room close by where the doctor and nurse tried 3 different catheters with no luck. My wife had to drive about 25 miles to the Cleveland Clinic in downtown. It took another 2 hours in the ER, found a bed and summoned an urologist from the Clinic while I was in excruciating pain trying to void urine. He would try one more time using a catheter with a hooked end. If unsuccessful he would then use the metal scope to force the urine out which would induce fair amount of pain. Miraculously the hooked catheter worked and close to 1100cc of urine flew out of the bladder.

I was back with my folio for 7 days which I hated the discomfort associated with it. The nurse then gave me the green light to remove it and start to self-cath again on Dec.22. By then I was able to urinate, starting at 50cc per now  about 175cc. There is still blood at the beginning of urination, I was down from 5 catheters a day on DEC. 22 to just one yesterday just before going to bed when 170cc urine was removed. I will not use one today.

I am anxious to further recovery and would like to share my experience. Please be extra careful if you decide to have Rezum. Afterall your prostate glands and urethra were impacted during the procedure. Don't use weight nor exercise after the procedure until bleeding stops. My wife is doing all the work now while I enjoy my life as a patient. I will have plenty of time and opportunities to repay her with interests.

• Posted

I had mine done at the Cleveland Clinic im March. I couldn't pee for over 2 weeks and they told me to hold off on excercise for 5 days and not to do squats til I was done self cathing. That schedule worked well for me and didn't seem to inflame anything

• Posted

Hello John.  Was going through some of the old e-mail and came across your e-mail  Just checking on you and how are you doing.  Did anything improve.  Are you peeing better and how is your sex life.  There have been a lot of failed rezum procedure that did not work.  Talking with another guy 52 that was talked into it by his doctor.  Been 7 month's and no improvement.  The only thing that came out of the procedure is he has retro which he is not happy.  He is going to another urologist today to see if anything can be done.  Hope your doing good  Ken 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.