Rezum, olympus button turp or other?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all, I went to the ER in June thought I had a hernia but CT scan showed huge bladder. . They drained 2500 ml. . Which was surprising since I thought I was urinating normally up until 15 minutes before the CT scan. They put an indwelling catheter in me for 4 weeks and I haven't been able to urinate on my own in the months since. I have to self cath 5 times per day. The urolift dynamics test showed my bladder still has function but not optimal. . My prostate is 42 cc or grams. The prostate has some kind of lobe not sure if it is a median lobe or not yet.One urologist recommend turp, my current one said he doesn't think urolift would be effective about 40 % chance and he is the world's most recommended physician for urolift. . He is recommending rezum. He is going to do a cystoscopy in a few weeks and then discuss to make final decision. . I think the stupid lobe thingy is causing the problem because last week I ran out if coude catheters and the straight one didn't want to go in, and all the sudden urine flooded out from around the outside of the catheter with a lot if pressure but that is just the theory. . I would greatly appreciate any recommendations or advice that you can offer. . I want to select the best procedures possible. . I did a ton of research but still at a loss. . Thank you! . Riggs

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Self cathing and something like Rezum are both viable options for you. I was in a similar situation to you - I have some bladder function but its less than normal. I had a couple of retention episodes over 4 years or so, but was able to deal with them via self cathing. But the bathroom was running my life, I didn't know you could rehab a bladder via self cathing at the point, but probably would have opted for Rezum as a first choice if I had.

I was a slow healer and I don't pee perfectly, but I got a big improvement, am not in any danger of retention (at least for now - prostates don't stop growing after a procedure) and overall am glad I had it done. Whatever you choose, its best not to let your voids exceed 400 ml regardless of the method. Jimjames chose the self cathing route as he's concerned about the side effects of the current procedures. Both of us live normally and have stopped further deterioration of bladder function.

• Posted

Hi Oldbuzzard,

What procedure did you have done?  How long were you in full retention?  I have been in full retention foe over four months now.

Thanks,

Riggs

• Posted

Hi Riggs,

I had Rezum done in March of 2016. I only went into full retention once (2012) and partial twice and one of those was after anesthesia. In both cases, one self cath was enough to get me back to normal - such as normal was back then. Retention wasn't a real concern for me, just the bathroom running my life.

• Posted

Good morning Rigss, please consider adding FLA to your list of possible treatments.  I am 54 in very good physical health, and my prostate was only 45 gms. But I also had great difficulty emptying my bladder.

I had the FLA (focal laser ablation) done 2 weeks ago, and  I am already so much better, with no pain. The Doc, and other guys who have had it done say it usually takes around 8 weeks to notice benefits, but I am already much better. And the REALLY good thing is if it affects your sexual stuff at all, its for the better. My Doc encouraged me to ejaculate soon after removing the catheter, which you wear for 7 days after the procedure. And other than a small amount of blodd still in my semen, things are better than before. And the doc says both urinating and ejaculating should just get better over time.

Also even tho it is a fairly new procedure for BPH, it has been used and approved for years for prostate cancer. And most research suggests that it will be a permanent fix, unlike urolift.

There are a few threads on the forum here about it, if you do a search. And of course feel free to ask me any questions.

Joe

• Posted

Hi Joe,

I have researched and was interested in the FLA procedure but the main problem is that it isn't covered by insurance as far as I know and unfortunately I cannot afford it on my own.  raising two young children and barely making it financially.   Also, one of my Uro's said he wouldn't advise doing any procedure that went in through the rectum, he did not elaborate on his reasoning .

Thanks

Riggs

• Posted

@Joe: And most research suggests that (FLA for BPH) will be a permanent fix, unlike urolift.

------------------------------------------

Hi Joe,

Very happy FLA for BPH worked out for you, but what research are you talking about? There is only one trial I'm aware of compromising 10 people and the data has not yet been published as far as I know. As to "longevity", which you signaled out, of all the procedures it will be interesting to see how far out FLA for BPH will hold because of its precision.  I believe we only have data now a year or so out, and again, that's anecdotal, not from studies. And since insurance doesn't seem to be covering FLA in most cases, longevity could be a big decision factor for a procedure that costs 20-30K out of pocket, plus travel expenses. 

Jim

• Posted

Hey Jim, you are correct , and I guess I mis spoke. I should have said the Doc who is doing the current study, and has also done numerous cases for cancer thinks that it will be a more permanet solution. I guess until there is more real data anecdotal evidence is all we have. Maybe I was just hoping lol.
    • Posted

Hello Riggs, I completely understand the cost being a factor. I sold my newer Ford truck, and went back to my old one to pay for mine.

I did get a pre approval letter from my insurance company, and Dr K provided me with a detailed bill to submit it mmyself. But I am not getting my hopes up. But I will let everyone know if they do decide to pay any portion of it.

Joe

• Posted

Had four procedures:

Green laser 1

TURP 3

Had I known then what I know now, not 1 would have been done.

Diet n lifestyle change did it for me:

Laid off all alcohol, drastically all coffees, animal n dairies.

Retrograde has subsided, (watery not dense)

Able to get an erection.

Libido is alive n

Clots the size of a hockey puck develop several times a month, once I irrigate myself the stream is clear.

I'm 76 n take no drugs of any

kind may it continue till I'm no longer.

Only do surgery when at death's door.

• Posted

Hi Sansrx,

Were you in full retention?  If so, did that resolve on its own.   I am not able to urinate at all on my own since they had an indwelling catheter in me for 4 weeks, it has now been 4 months of self cathing 5x per day.

• Posted

No problems with retention since I stopped alcohol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.