Rezum or HOLEP in the UK

Posted , 13 users are following.

Fed up with the side effects of Tamsulosin and waking 3 or 4 times during the night, dribbling etc, so have decided to go for either Rezum or HOLEP. Like the idea of Rezum as there is a good chance of retaining ejaculatory function, particularly if Professor Hindley was doing it. He has done well over 100 surgeries and with good results. If anybody has had either procedure done in the UK could you please let me know the outcome. Many Thanks.

1 like, 72 replies

72 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

John and Kenneth,

Carefully consider the Urolift procedure before having this done. It uses metal clips that may prevent you from getting a multiparametric MRI scan to screen for prostate cancer in the future.

Best,

Henry

• Posted

Henry

I had the Urolift done almost 4 years ago

I have no problem with MRI. Had 2 done this year. I have a card that tells you how it has to be done. The person that is doing it just has to know.

Have a great day.................Ken

• Posted

I had Urolift done 3 years ago, did not work for me and recently had Rezum... No problems with MRI Scans

• Posted

Simon

Sorry that the Urolift did not work for you. Did it open you up and how many clips did they use. Did they say way???

I guess it's not for everyone. Hope Rezum does it's jobGood Luck Ken

• Posted

Initially Urolift seemed to work but 2 years on it wasn't..5 clips I think...hopefully Rezum will be better...one question I have is how soon after Rezum are guys having sex..I am aware that there will be blood in semen for a while

• Posted

Simon

Sorry that it did not hold out for you.

Did you check into having more clips put in. I am going on 4 years. I had 4 clips. 2 on each side. Now I have to take a muscle relaxer for a tight external sphincter.

Prostate is still wide open but that does not mean that it has failed. Has we get older we will have other things happen.

I take VASICARE 10 mg It relaxes the sphincter and the bladder

I would think 3 to 4 weeks ask the doctor. Did look on a few sites they did not say But they did say that blood will be in the semen for a while.

I do hope all works out for you. You do know that there is a 10 % chance of retro. I will keep my finger crossed.

Ken

• Posted

Thanks Ken.... I thought 3-4 weeks post Rezum for sex was right... would be interested in others' experiences of that....

• Posted

You will know. I had a quick recovery and if I had a sex partner I could have done the deed within a week with no problem. I attribute my quick recovery to an excellent surgeon plus I practiced doing a self cath prior to procedure and refused the folly (against Dr insistence). Didn't have to cath at all. I also continued my Alfusozin/uroxatral (beta blocker) for one week after procedure. If Rezum is done properly the urethra should be intact with only needle holes unlike TURP. I did not have any blood in my urine beginning the day after procedure. My semen was back to my normal within 3 days following procedure.

• Posted

Thanks Andrew... the wife and I will test things out tonight... Here's hoping

• Posted

Simon

That is good to here . Just have fun and don't worry about anything.

All the best...........Ken

• Posted

The morning after my GL I woke up with an erection while the catheter was still in.

• Posted

Derek

I hate that when it happen to me in the hospital last year......Made a half of a tent???

Later my friend

It's night time there having some cold weather here. Was 84 yesterday going to be 47 tonight

Ken

• Posted

I was pleased that so soon after GL that everything was in good order.

After 10pm and it is 54F here in the South of England.

• Posted

Derek

That good it's

Okay right now it's 6 PM. I guess I'll wait to turn on the heat. It's 60 right now.

I got sent a picture from my other buddy. Very pretty. Do you know where Roath Lake Pk is He sent me 3 pictures Nice lake and Park

Have a good night....Ken

I go Friday to see my Doctor to see what all the test were and blood work.

• Posted

That's so cool so if you read this before the test begins may I encourage you not to focus on your equipment but on the journey and relationship. I'm a widower and wish someone had reminded me during the routine sexual times that the best sex I ever enjoyed were the times when I was more focused on taking my partner to heights of emotional and physical sexual satisfaction than satisfying my own urges. I believe there is a reason that God created women with a sensitive on switch which responds better to the tongue and kisses than the penis. As you focus your passions on your wife don't be surprised if your own healing leapfrogs foreword. Whatever you do enjoy the moments of tenderness, cuddling, laughter because before you know it, it's gone!

• Posted

I've only once been to Cardiff and it was too wet for parks 😃

• Posted

OKay

Just was checking if it was near you. It does look like a nice area.

Ken

• Posted

Thanks for your thoughtful response...pleased to say that all went well, only issues blood in semen and slight discomfort when ejaculating and for a while afterwards

• Posted

Simon

Thank you Now relax and heal...Ken

The blood will go away in time...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.