Rezum Procedure and REtrograde ejaculation

Posted , 17 users are following.

My condition mirrors the rest of the people that have experienced RTE after having the Rezum profedure. Are their any lawsuits going on regarding the percentage of men suffering from this?

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

Lawsuits for these procedures are rare as the patient must sign a waiver of liability prior to the procedure which protects the doctor and the facility.

• Posted

Hi Lester,

I have had discussions with various malpractice attorneys due to the permanent damage that was done to me by the REZUM procedure -- basically my sexual function has been irreparably damaged since I can no longer ejaculate. This is particularly difficult for my partner to accept and causes us both anguish, stress, anxiety and disappointment.

Anyway, to get to my point, the attorneys have basically told me that the waiver is irrelevant if the pre-procedure advice and literature that I was given are not supported by actual real world outcomes. As it turns out, the literature states that the occurrence of retrograde ejaculation is "rare", and might affect only 2% to 3% of patients. But the actual number of patients who get RE after having REZUM appears to be more in the 20% to 30% range -- far, far, far greater than I was told. Had I been given truthful information, I would not have had the REZUM procedure.

• Posted

I'm in Florida and had mine done last July. Major negative side effects, nerve damage, inability to void completely, etc. I was told the chances for RE were very small, and then after I questioned it after the procedure, they said that I should have understood that it was a probability.

• Posted

Have you found an attorney thats willing to take your case?

• Posted

Yes, I would like to know that as well. I just had the surgery and too early to tell but my doctor and the advertisements said there would be no RTE.

• Posted

In my experience of taking BPH meds, in my case both finesteride and Flomax, it was the cumulative effect of all the side effects, not just RE that was a problem for me.

I thought RE reduced the intensity of my orgasms by about half. When you add in that finesteride lowered my libido and had a negative effect on my fitness level, I really wanted to get off the meds.

I stopped the finesteride a week before my procedure, since it really was not helping me anyways. That may have been due to the fact that I had a median lobe in my prostate, and I have seen several references to that making the drug less effective. Once I could see that I was urinating freely a week after the procedure, I stopped the Flomax. Within the next few weeks the RE stopped, and I could really feel my libido return.

So for me, it was my body's entire response to the BPH meds that I did not care for. As the meds slowly became less effective at controlling my BPH, I knew I had to take the next step and try to address the problem.

• Posted

Michael_Rezum: It sounds like you did the right thing and have a good handle on how your body reacts to drugs. Very in tune with your body. Wow, already peeing a week after Rezum. That's great!

• Posted

Hi Scooter,

Did you hear anything regarding any ongoing litigation against Boston Scientific or the urologists involved in misleading us into thinking the REZUM procedure had "no sexual side effects". That's how it was presented to me -- as being totally safe with respect to sexual function. While the procedure solved my urinary blockage issues it resulted in what is apparently going to be permanent retrograde ejaculation. I have no issues attaining erection or orgasms, but much to my partner's disappointment I no longer ejaculate at all. After researching the occurrence of RE online it has become clear that more than 20% of REZUM recipients, and perhaps as many as 30%, now suffer with RE. I think the REZUM literature that I was given prior to the procedure to decide if it was a procedure I wished to choose was, in retrospect, full of lies. There is a substantial potential for serious, permanent sexual side effects with REZUM that should have been disclosed. I am currently seeking an expert medical malpractice attorney. I wonder if you have heard from others regarding any legal action or if you know of a good malpractice attorney who is already pursuing the REZUM case.

Please let me know if you have any helpful info. I'd really appreciate that.

Van

• Posted

I'm one of the 30%. Have you had any luck in finding an attorney?

• Posted

I've been rejected by 1 highly reputable Malpractice firm because they had a client conflict. They referred me to a national firm that is evaluating of they want to take the case. The attorney pointed out that the procedure was successful except for the fact that I will have RE for the rest of my life. I no longer require medications for BPH and my urinary situation is resolved. The sticking point is that my age (72) reduces the probability of a reasonable monetary outcome for the law firm since the ability to ejaculate is not viewed as essential for an older person.

• Posted

I had Rezum done in the Spring of 2021. They told me it would be uncomfortable. Just gave me a Valium for it. Well, if you call feeling like the Doc is literally trying to pull your dick off of your body, then yes, it was "uncomfortable". I was screaming in pain the entire time.

Even worse, it seems I have what is called "Retrograde Ejaculation". I can't cum when having an orgasm.

My wife is a dime and we love to do it. But there is no joy in Mudville for Casey any longer.

Are there any lawsuits ongoing? I am angry and depressed.

• Edited

Have you had any luck with the lawsuit? I had RE after this pig farmer, ( literally but a qualified urologist), performed Rezum on me, to this day I still shoot zip. I was misled too, I was told about 5 % had this issue. When I moved to different state after retirement i was told by my new urologist what happened he said it wasn't the Rezum but age. I guess as we age there are cells that start growing on your prostrate and don't allow the prostrate to make seminal fluids any more, he went on to say this is totally normal and that if any man tells you he can ejaculate after 60 then there's a 99% probably he is lying, then he dr. continued to show me his bald head and said, " see there's nothing I can do about my baldness but to deal with it".

God bless you Scooter1 and I hope you can get representation for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.