Rezum procedure for BPH

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have been suffering with BPH for 15 years+.  I am 69 years old and my PSA has climbed to 17.8.  Have had 2 biopsies, both negative and recently had a MRI.  Determined that my prostate is 119G.  Some nights get up 10 or 15 times.  About a month ago, quit caffeine and my symptoms have decreased about 1/3.  Most nights still have to go 4 or 5 times.  My Urologist wanted to do a TURP, but after doing some research, I read about the new Procedure called Rezum.  Am considering it, don't like the idea of cutting on me, possibly losing sexual function.  I tried Flomax but made me dizzy and a weak feeling so quit that a few years ago.  Doctor prescribed 5 mg. Finasteride once daily.  After reading some of the Rezum stories on this site, not sure that is the way for me to go, none had a prostate the size of mine, and some had serious pain and blood issues.  I don't take pain well.  Need some input from Rezum patients to help make a decision.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Parry, I am 67 had a 125cc prostate. I use to get up 8 to 12 times a night with BPH. I also did not want any sexual side effects. I searched for almost 2 years looking into treatments. I got very lucky and found FLA. That was done Decemb
  • Posted

The only really working method  taylored to every patient  is FLA.  Successfull with aprox.  95 %  rate.  No  sexual  or other side effects.  I suffered  BPH  for  15 years  and last 3 years were really cruel . 

Underwent FLA  procedures  2 weeks ago  in Houston  Texas  , and first relief is coming. 

I can reccomend you firstly to provide  3T MRI - the  only really detailed scope to your " interier " with high definition . Experienced radiologist then  will  analyse and reccomend you the most optimal  method.  This service can  do Dr. Karamanian from Houston  for FREE . 

I wish you right decision .

Stan ,  Slovakia - Europe   

• Posted

Hi parry, before you quit caffeine, how much of it were you consuming ? How often, how late, throughout the days ? In what form, coffee or soft drinks ? Thanks. Hank
    • Posted

3 cups of coffee in the morning only.  Not much after that, rarely.  
  • Posted

Sorry Parry, I was in the county tax appraiser's waiting room and they called me in to discuss their mistakes on my taxes. I did not finish my story. Anyway, back to the story, ... That was December of 2016 when I had FLA done in Houston Texas. FLA is a procedure that was a fallout of a prostate cancer treatment as they discovered how well it was working for BPH symptoms during the treatment of prostate cancer. So, it made sense to use it for BPH. It is accurate to 1 mm inside the prostate with regard to the specific tissue removal.

What I liked the most was because it is done by a trained Interventional Radiologist and not a urologist, they use in the treatment a 3T MRI during the procedure to see what tissue they are destroying while they are doing the procedure. Call me old fashion but I like real time “eyes on” the procedure anytime someone is removing tissue in my body. Just makes sense to shoot with your eyes open and not closed. This also explains why they can be so confident they will not hit the parts of the prostate that provide our sexual activity. No sexual side effects were the main reason I wanted this procedure. It was most important to me and my wife.

Also, I liked the fact that in FLA they do not go up the urethra and poke a hole back into the prostate. The FLA procedure uses a rectal method which is better. The prostate is only about an inch and a half inside the rectum. Much closer and easier access to the gland. The doctor I used has conscious sedation which was really good in my case as I did not feel or remember anything. I left the procedure and went to lunch with my wife and Dad with a catheter in that I had for 6 days.

I was finally sold on this treatment when I had an MRI done near my house and sent it over the internet to Dr. Karamanian’s web site for him to analysis my specific situation. He spent a lot of time showing me the problem and he would not charge me anything.

He then showed me on the screen the day before my procedure the tissue that was pushing my urethra closed and the tissue in my large median lobe that was pushing up into my bladder. I was very pleased that a doctor could finally show me the actual issue with my specific prostate gland. Then he showed me what would be removed and the pathway insi my prostate that we would navigate to not have any sexual side effect issues. It was clear it would work and it did. My life was returned to my control. I am a normal 67-year-old now. I am not back to 30 or 40 but I am very happy and very normal.

I get up once maybe twice a night now depending on how much I drink. I got up three times last night but I drank 5 beers on the golf course and after golf so you reap what you sow in that situation. I do not plan my activities around the geographical locations of men’s rooms anymore. I have been 17 months now. I could not be happier.

Focal Laser Ablation is completely FDA approved but not paid for by insurance companies, so it cost me $20 K but this was the best money I have spent on my health in my life. This doctor is top notch and I cannot even explain how good he is. The best thing is he will not charge any man to talk to you or to review and study your MRI and tell you what the MRI shows. These are facts he can show you. He will honestly tell you if he can help you. Then you can decide. This is totally different than the support you will get from any Urologist that I know. I am not telling you that FLA  is what you should do. I am only trying to tell you this is what I did, why I did it and how it worked for me. There are a lot of offerings out there and I look at them all very closely for 20 months.

Please, please do your research. Talk to the doctors. If they will not spend the time and if they cannot give you answers you feel confident in then move on. Don’t let them scare you, intimidate you or push you into anything. If they treat you in a condescending manner without compassion and regard for your situation or if they are rushed and rushing you then move on. You can get successful results without having sexual side effects. There are a lot of men on this site who can give you information and testimonials.  If you would like anymore from me then just personal message me on this site using the little envelope by my name at the top of this message and I will answer your questions.

Good luck

• Posted

Thank  you for replying.  Will consider it.

• Posted

I am going on 6 months after turp surgery and I feel great, I am 100 % in all areas and recommend it if you need it.
    • Posted

Good to hear about a positive TURP outcome.  How long before you resumed all normal activities, especially exercise?
  • Posted

Fla Dr. Karaminian. Call him first he is a good guy..

Jim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.