Rezum procedure for BPH

Posted , 13 users are following.

I had the Rezum procedure performed 8 months ago.

It has been the worst 8 months of my life, noting that I lost a 2 year old child from a fall, and have gone through a divorce.

My symptoms are much worse than before the procedure.

I have to wear an absorbent pad in my underwear at all times.

Urinating involves dribbling and spraying, and takes an extremely prolonged time. And even after I'm finished, it still leaks.

I get frequent urinary tract (prostate) infections. (4 since the procedure)

I've seen my urologist several times in follow up, and he only keeps saying that what I'm going through is "normal" and that it will improve!

Though I do not have any pain, the misery of living with this is close to insufferable.

I don't know what others have experienced, but I personally strongly recommend against having this procedure done.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Thanks for sharing it with us.You probably need some reconstructive surgery of the sphinkters by now. Eight months is more than enough to recover from the "less invasive" in office procedure. How many shots did you have? What was the size of you prostate before the procedure? If not the name of your Urologist, tell us the place where it was performed. We will avoid it by any means. So much for less invasive RE preventive procedure with harmless steam. Of course the results can vary, particularly with different doctors.

• Posted

John,

I'm so sorry that you're having to live with this, and hope it will ultimately improve.

I had REZUM on June 28 at Loyola University (Chicago) and it has been an improvement. I could not urinate at all for the previous 3 years, and now I can, albeit not like a 25 year old. It seems to me that outcomes for REZUM (and probably the other procedures as well) are highly dependent on the skill and experience of the operator. Therefore I recommend researching who has done the most procedures and then making an appointment to ask some pointed questions: How many procedures have they done?; What are the outcomes?; How many of the patients have retrograde ejaculation, incontinence, new or worsened ED, etc. Then go to the best, most experienced doc you can find, not necessarily the one who is in your city and is convenient. If you have to fly somewhere, do it. Meanwhile, it sounds as if you might benefit from a second and even a third opinion. Don't give up----keep working on it. I hope things will get better for you.

Best wishes,

Fred

• Posted

You have many unfortunate problems but you could have avoided Rezum if you heeded some of the remarks on this forum. It is not for everyone and before any procedure is done you have to sign a waiver of liability giving you no legal recourse. Do your research and get a number of opinions before you jump into something else.

• Posted

That's not true that you have to sign a waiver of liability before any surgery giving you no legal recourse. That's just not so. And no doctor can make you sign away your rights to sue him for negligence.

• Posted

Of course nobody can make you sign anything but most patients just sign without reading it. They trust the doctor, Unfortunately some are not successful.

• Posted

John,

I am sorry to hear that you had bad results from your Rezum. Many men including myself have had excellent Rezum results.

I had a Rezum (10 shots, 4 per lateral lobe and 2 median lobe) almost 11 months ago and I had excellent results. I went from AUR and 10 months of catheters to being able to pee normally again. I was very careful in selecting the urologist that did my Rezum as it is a new procedure and not all urologists are as experienced as others in doing it. From what you are describing, maybe you did not select the right urologist?

From my very success with Rezum, I would highly recommend it, with the qualifier to carefully chose your urologist.

Steve

• Posted

PS: John, by 3 to 4 months the Rezum process will have completed. At 8 months, what you are experiencing is not normal for Rezum. UTI's could be a sign of retention. Leaking could be a sign of overflow incontinence, again due to retention. When was the last time that you had your PVR's measured by the urologist or my self-cathing? IMHO, it sounds like you need to find another urologist ASAP.

• Posted

Hi John,

I am considering Rezum.

Now that 2 yrs have passed, can you update?

Thanks

Bob

• Posted

I had the Rezum done here in Toronto, Canada 3 months ago. It was done by the only doctor who performs it in Canada and it cost $6000 as it is not covered by medicare. I had a Turp done about 9 years ago which was successful and I had no side effects such as RE but didn't want to take the chance this time around. I had wanted to go the PAE route but was not eligible as prostate size was 83 cm3 and 100 was the minimum required. Rezum was successful, 6 bursts of steam, one week of catheter which was the worst part but flow is pretty good now with max at 16 ml/s. Urine residual in bladder after ultrasound measured at 41 ml which is good. Only issue is that I now have dry ejaculation, which is the entire reason I elected to have the REZUM over the TURP in the first place. The doctor says that in his experience there is an 8-10 percent chance of getting dry or RE with this procedure as the ejaculatory ducts can get damaged from the steam. What p*sses me off is that this was not articulated to me before the procedure. I could have gone the TURP route and had a very nice holiday on the 6K that I saved. I'm 63 so don't plan on having any more kids so its more psychological than anything. This is my story.

• Posted

I also have RE, but at 76 it doesn't matter much.

I was told that there was a small chance that it would occur, but was still a bit of disappointment.

$6K is very high, even Canadian. If I had of paid out of pocket here, it would have cost USD 1,800.00,

Fortunately the procedure is covered by Medicare.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.