REZUM surgery: Who has had it done for 6 months or longer??

Posted , 6 users are following.

Wednesday will be 4 weeks for me! I'm getting better but still not as good as I was before the surgery.... I still get up at night to pee at least 3 times....

The best part so far I have given up soft drinks!!! That was hard. Now all I drink is water or some decaf tea. I drink very little so I don't have to go as much especially at night.  I finally had sex and it was fine, with more seam than I have had in a long time! I had some pain afterwards but I guess that is normal with your prostrate.. not sure why???

Now I would like to know anyone who is in this longer than six months???

I have a lot of questions that I woould like to ask. Going to start riding my bike this week cause the weather is going to be in the 70's Thursday on!

Good luck to everyone!!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Leon, I can't address Rezum but hang in and give it time. It can and will improve. I am  23 days out on Focal Laser Ablation and very please with my progress. I can and will provide any info on this if and when you might need it. Again good luck it will improve. 

• Posted

Leon, had turp 4 weeks tomorrow. Suffering from urgency, frequency but sleeping a night good. Say my uro last Friday and he told me everything was good, be patient and the body will heal itself. I went with a bph issue for 8 years before getting it fixed. I was going every 30 minutes at the end, I now last about an hour during the day and looking for better results in the next few weeks. Be good.
  • Posted

Hi Leon,

If you had broken your leg 4 weeks ago, and you now ran in a long race, would you be surprised if your leg hurt afterwards? Your prostate has just suffered a severe "injury ". Don't panic if it's a little sore after some significant exercise (intercourse).

Neal

• Posted

I am now post op 24 days from the Focal Laser Ablation of my prostate. I tried the sex out night before last. I have been very worried about how this would go but the quest for a procedure with no sexual side effects was the first thing on my wish list and for heart of the reason I chose FLA. 

I want to remain humble in my report but I must say that it could not have gone any better. I expected pain upon ejaculation or at least an uncomfrotable feeling and blood in the discharge. There was NONE of that. I had absolutely no issue accept that the ejaculation appeared to me MORE in volume than I had before the procedure.

I ask Doctor K about it and he ask well how long has it been since your last ejaculation and I said about a week before the procedure or about a month which is not normal for me.

Whatever it was it was a very good experience. Afterward, all my fears that I have had from 20 months before I made the decision to use FLA, up until last night have lifted off of me for the very first time. I got what I wanted most. My number one concern of getting "no sexual side effects", in a BPH procedure have been my biggest concern. I was very confident that the urine stricture would be alleviated with the clearing of the tissue at the urethra, I was hopeful that the bladder retention would be relieved at the reduction of the base tissue pushing into the bladder. But I was very scared to death that I would have some type of sexual side effect from the ablation. I realized that it all worked very very well and last night, for some reason that was awkward. I am so amazed as to how well this has worked and that it was over.

My life has been so affected by the BPH that it is now also awkward to be going through my normal day no longer needing  to be controled by my urination. I could not do anything without being controled by urination. My sex life was never affected by the BPH, I just did not want to loose any of my sexual functionality which were the only good thing I had left, due to the the BPH procedure I selected. I was really scared about it and my Dr. Karama ian took the time to study the strategy and drew the path of the ablation out on the MRI showing me the tissue that would be removed and the route that would be taken ahead of time to show me how it is precisely done with out hitting or damaging the components of the prostate that effect sex. He showed me that all the work would be done in the Transitional Zone and the Median Lobe and no where near the part of the gland that would cause damage. It made logical sense to me and his confidence in the procedure from many cancer Ablations sold me. Though it had not be done under the name of a "BPH Solution", the same thing has been done many times (1,000's) for prostate Cancer with the same results they have achieved for BPH relief.

I now could not be happier. The next best thing that can happen is the longevity of the results. This makes logical sense also because it is a laser procedure, it is not possible that the BPH tissue will ever regrow in the areas removed. Those area are void of tissue that could regrow. Dr. karaman ian says that now we wait and let the prostate "re-form" in it's cavity and take on it new size and shape. This will only make the urination better. I know this was a lot of money but I now feel it was inexpensive for what I think I have gotten, that is, my life back. 

John

• Posted

Is the FLA done through the rectum, or how?

Neal

• Posted

Morning Neal. 

Yes it is done through the rectum. But I only know this because they told me. They use a wonderful drug for conscious sedation that made me realize and feel absolutely nothing. I honestly remember being in the "get ready" room and then awaking and my wife and Dad telling me we were going to eat sea food at some famous restaurant. I did not recall the catheter being placed or getting on the MRI table or anthing rectal or even leaving the room. I had no pain or discomfort in any part of the procedure. The Doctor told me that this is the reason he uses this drug and it is what he would want used on him. Sperling gives you a pain drug and a valium and it is a much more different experience I am told. The "conscious sedation" is a more costly approach is my understanding. 

I had no rectal blood after the procedure and could not tell anything happened in my rectum. As I was shown the device weeks before the procedure, it was actually small, short and did not concern me. The Doctor is not at the MRI machine during the procedure but two nurses are with me the whole time. The doctor is on the computer operating the laser which has all the coordinates for the procedure programmed into it so it is very precise with the laser. I did not see this or have any knowledge of any of it but I made them explain the whole procedure step by step to me before it was done. The procedure does not take very long. Getting it set up and everything in place was important as this is usually done for cancer and it must be even more precise than for removing BPH tissue. But dont get me wrong, I wanted the mapped out strategy follow precisely and nothing ablated that would cause any issue or problem. And, that is what I got.  

John

• Posted

Neal, I realized I should also tell you that the device is a little small than a cigar that goes in the rectum. This is pushed up against the prostate in the right position and the laser goes through that then into the prostate the laser is about the size of a human hair. it is guided up into the prostate on a specific path to the exact location that the want to ablate. They do not make big holes in your rectal or prostate wall. This is why I never had any pain or blood in stool afterward. 
    • Posted

Hi John,

Thanks so much for the information. Please continue to let us know how it's going. I would like to do this treatment, but it is so expensive. I hope I can wait until it's covered.

Thanks again,

Neal

• Posted

T thanks Neil, yes it was expensive for me also. But I was crippled I could not do my job at work I cannot play golf I cannot live my life. I put it on my credit cards and I intend to pay it off. I would have paid 5 times the amount paid if I would have known the results would have been there. It is better than I even wanted it to be. Dr. K told me it will do nothing but improve over the next 60 days. Yes that is correct I will be more than pleased I could stop now and be perfectly happy. But I do understand the burden of the cost. I will be using my IRA or 401K money to pay this off but to me it is well worth it to get my life back
    • Posted

I am peeing I am 45 again. My ejaculations in flow amount and inforce like I was 30 years old again I was not expecting that and I don't think dr. K was either. I cannot tell you how wonderful this is

• Posted

I.m coming up to three months on 3/15/17 for having the REZUM surgery. Do I think I'm better???? Well I still get up at least twice at night. I still pee a lot. Not as much during the day. I take zero drugs now.  I pee a lot better I guess. It doesn't hurt any more to pee. But sex is as great as before. I'm 58 and still want a active sex life with my wife. Not sure but I think my erections are not as hard as they were before the surgery. I wasn't told there would be any problems with having sex??? Very odd and not happy with preformance.............

I have lots of seam coming out but not any better sex than before. We will see what happens at six months.

So would I recomened the surgery NOT REALLY!!!! I haven't seen any rezults YET!!!!!!!! Anyone else have this done at 3 months???? Have a awesome weekend!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.