RF ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there...been following the odd thread as waiting for my appointment with rheumy in May because of ongoning symptoms: painful joints in hands and wrists, occadionally feet, fatigue, fever etc. Ice got vit d deficiency and had what they called araised RF. My RF was 25 so i am but consused as to why they hit the 'raised' marker when others on here are taking sbout RF in the 100's and 200's ! Can anyone enlighten me on R Factor please ?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

Your symptoms sound very similar to mine. My first appt with my rheumotologist was a year ago this May.  My first rounds of bloodwork in January showed anemia and not much else, including an RF in the normal range;  this caused my GP to initially dismiss RA. The RF was slightly elevated, as yours is, by my appointment is May with the rheumatologist.  You will be diagnosed according to a point system, points allocated to various symptoms. You can google this and get a much better explanation than I can give, but I will point out that for RF, you will get 0 points for normal RF, 2 points for low positive, and 3 points for high positive. So you still get credit for low positive, haha.  Sorry, gallows humor. Anyway, I have been treated pretty successfully since with Methotrexate;  I'm not back to normal, but feel generally good.  I will tell you that I didn't really appreciate how bad I was feeling until after I received treatment. If I could go back, I would have taken the recommendation of the person making my appointment at the rheumatologist office to talk to my GP if I felt I couldn't wait until May.  If your daily activities are considerably compromised, I would recommend seeing if you can get in sooner.  Best of luck and health to you, hang in there.

• Posted

Hello bmelony,

Not sure why an RF of 25 would be an issue either. If I remember correctly, my intial RF when diagnosed with RA was 225 or 252, or something close to that. 

Don

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.