RFA this week...what to expect?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi!  I’m 65 years old and have developed back problems over the last 6 months or so...until then, no problems.  After 2 MRIs and several X-rays I was told that I have significant arthritis, a prolapsed disc (lumbar but don’t know space), stenosis and at least 1 lumbar compression fracture that they couldn’t do a kyphoplasty on.  I’ve had 2 injections about 3 months apart with excellent relief each time.  In fact, I thought I might not need further treatment....then I lifted some boxes and strained things and am having severe pain again.  So now am scheduled for a radio frequency ablation on Friday.  I understand that it will be similar to the previous injections but to expect to be more sore afterward and that I won’t have immediate relief.  Does anyone have any advice about what else to expect/ask before the procedure?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I think what you are going to have is similar to what I had in the pain clinic in Prince Charles Hospital. For me it was just as painful as Facet joint injections if not more. In my personal opinion it did nothing for me and the Dr agreed. So I went back for more Facet, Nerve block and epidural injections. 

• Posted

Also tbh I think if the disc is prolapsed then i think it is possible they may suggest shaving the disc in the future. 
  • Posted

They wouldn’t do the RFA since I’m still on Flagyl for the diverticulitis flare.  Don’t know my August schedule yet so have no idea when I will be able to get it done.  Back hurts, belly hurts...
  • Posted

The antibiotics are all finished and I’m again scheduled for an RFA...on Aug 17!  Wish me luck/success.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.