Rheumatoid Arthritis

Posted , 4 users are following.

hello my mother is 47 years old she has Rheumatoid Arthritis disease, she is bearing this disease since when she was only 25 years old since then this disease is increasing every day and now it's reached in hand elbow and fingers, after treatment of 20 years one doctor suggest a Dose (injection) to stop the process of Osteoarthritis (osteoprocess),

Doctor said this dose will stop the osteoprocess for 1 year and you have to take this dose every year to stop the process of Osteoarthritis (Osteoprocess), My Question is that , Is it safe to take this Dose Or Not ? Thank you

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hello

are you able to find out the name of the drug the dr is suggesting for your mum?

• Posted

Your mother is really young, perhaps you could help to see if her rheumatologist can sort out her medication for RA so it doesn't get worse 'every day' after 20 years.

At the same time you could ask more about this once a year injection for osteoarthritis.  Nobody knows if it's safe, without knowing what it is.

Personally I'd be more concerned about the medication she has presumably being having for rheumatoid arthritis, if it doesn't seem to be working.

She should have a review with a rheumatologist and her GP.

• Posted

Yes she needs to speak to the Rheumatologist as he/she is experts in this field and experts with this sort of medication. Sounds like she would benefit alot from a DMARD (Disease modifying anti-rheumatic drug). ie Sulfasalazine, Methotreaxtae, hydroxycholoquine or something similar, obviously its all down to the discretion of the Rheumatologist as to what he/she prescibes. what does your mum take for her RA?
    • Posted

Sorry I was meant to send that to Human35325 sad
  • Posted

Yes she needs to speak to the Rheumatologist as he/she is experts in this field and experts with this sort of medication. Sounds like she would benefit alot from a DMARD (Disease modifying anti-rheumatic drug). ie Sulfasalazine, Methotreaxtae, hydroxycholoquine or something similar, obviously its all down to the discretion of the Rheumatologist as to what he/she prescibes. what does your mum take for her RA?
  • Posted

@Rowbirdie

doctor written it on a paper but i can't read it what's it's written as you know doctor's hand writing so i am uploading a picture so maybe you guys can read it

here is the drug name in following image :

http://i.imgur.com/N7ytUeU.jpg?1

and please  write the name here so i also know what it's written

@Anne04253

i think my mother tried about 20/25  Doctor or maybe more about her issue but disease is increasing in other body parts like elbow and fingers and hand joint doctor also suggest to do a surgery(operation) to change knees joint   

is changing knees a solution for this ?

@Matthew28646

my mother took these medicines suggest my different doctors time by time

Cara 20 mg

Lefora 20mg

Rohlef

slizodean 500 mg

Methotereksit

and other drugs

• Posted

Hi again

Hope you have found the replies helpful.

Can I just ask you, do you live with your mother?

Do you and/ or your mother live anywhere near her GP?

How long does it take to get an appointment with her GP?

None of the issues seem urgent, though they are worrying, so why don't you make an appointment for your mother and/ or you to discuss all of your questions with a doctor?

Surely the answers would be more reliable than asking complete strangers over the internet.

Good luck, kind regards

Anne

• Posted

Hi

It was a good idea to upload a picture of what the doctor wrote! There is a drug taken by yearly injection for osteoarthritis and it has the brand name Relas and Reclast.  That could be what the doctor wrote.  These, and other different names, are Zoledronic Acid Injections to slow down the condition. I suggest that you google these and see what you think as I don't know anything about them. Good luck! It's nice that your mother has you to help her.

• Posted

Hi

Anne did well to work out the name of the osteoarthritis drug!

Also I recognise methotrexate and lefluomide ( trade name lefora ) as usual medication for rheumatoid arthritis which is quite different from osteoarthritis. Maybe your mother has both?

But from what you have said about the increase in pain in hands etc it seems like a good idea to go back to a rheumatologist and see if there s something further they can prescribe .

Hope you manage to get some help for your mum.

• Posted

thanks Anne & Rowbirdie

Sorry What is GP ?

sorry i dont live in England or Uk

i am from 'Balochistan' you can google it

with your provided information when i search 'Zoledronic Acid' in google i found the name what is written on doctor's paper ' it's " Aclasta IV (Zoledronic Acid)

i am just asking here and some other places and other doctors to confirm that  this injection  ( Aclasta IV - Zoledronic Acid) which slowdown or stop ? the process of "osteoprocess"   Giving (injecting) this Is Safe Or Not ?

• Posted

You could google' national osteoporosis society 'or 'NICE guidelines for zoledronic acid. 'These guidelines are used by uk medical system. Both explain the use of this medication and it's good effects and give possible side effects. Maybe this would reassure you. 
  • Posted

i want to add something

she's on a lot of meds for it  AND her bone density is very low and because of low bone density her Greater Trochanter Bone (Leg Bone) was broke up before and had a surgery and now there is a rod on that leg bone

so after this  still is it safe to take this drug ?

thank you 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.