Rheumatoid arthritis

Posted , 3 users are following.

it is in my hands and I use a manual wheelchair due to an SCI. My fingers are becoming increasingly painful and is beginning to interfere with my sleep I use diclofenac cream which is not as effective as it was a few years ago.

i cannot tolerate any pain medication. I take one daily dose of hydroxyquine.

i am in Canada thank you Louise

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Louise I'm not sure whether this is of any help. I do not have RA but do have OA and have some experience of painful hands. I was referred to an Occupational Therapist who helped me a lot. I have splints that are a great comfort especially when tackling things like slicing bread., changing the duvet cover, anything that  requires input from my wrists.

The other comfort is the wax Therobath. I am in UK but I know there are outlets in USA who supply them. Not  cheap but I've found worth the price. Google will probably find them but I'll send a link if you wish.

• Posted

That would be very helpful Betty.  I was originally from the UK!

thank you

• Posted

Moderator didn't like me posting the wax bath link but you should find it if you google wax baths

• Posted

Hello Louise,You poor thing.This Arthritis isn't pleasant.My Hubby has it in hips & knees,& severely sighted & deaf.we. I am his carer with a failed hip replacement,and now thumb joints are painful,achy all day & loose grip on things.So sorry to rant.Reflexology keeps me going every other week.regards Amanda

• Posted

Not a rant Amanda. As for dropping things, unbelievable no matter how big the receptacle is I miss it. It is almost like a spring it's so bad it's almost funny. It really is painful and wheeling aggravates it. I have a pair of wrist cuffs that I forgot I had they assist me to push the chair.

thanks for responding Louise

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.