Rheumatoid arthritis

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with RA about a year ago.  I have been putting off although I tried sulfasalizine and it caused great stomach distress, trying other drugs because I always seem to have an extreme reaction to everything no matter for what.  I have had a Kenalog shot or too which helped immensely but I realize it does not stop progression.

Does anyone know a RA drug that has been easier to handle more then others?  Looking forward to everyone’s input.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Deena, I understand your hesitance at using RA drugs. Most of them seem pretty toxic to me but when you are in pain the calibre of RA what choice do you have? I've been on a few and had to stop a few. I had stomach problems initially with sulphasalazine but it was the headaches which eventually made me stop taking it. I feel our symptoms and responses to medicines are so individual with  RA it's very difficult to isolate any specific drug which is 'easier to handle'.  I also had to stop Methotrexate due to lung problems that many people get good relief from for years. Sorry I've not been more helpful but as so many  people on here have said it can take a long time to find what suits you. Best wishes, Carol

• Posted

Hi Deena,

When I was diagnosed with RA and told it was uncurable and that the toxic drugs with horrible side effects couldn't do much more than slow it down (maybe) I was determined to explore any alternative possibilities for hope. I tried a few that didn't work (acupuncture, massage) but I did find a complete cure! I know it sounds impossible, but if you're determined find yourself a functional health practitioner, look up psycho-neuro-immunology clinician,for your area, if you really want to explore a permanent cure. Don't believe the doctors and others who tell you to have no hope, that you're stuck with this condition for life. You will need to work at it, but I didn't feel ready for my life to be over so I did all the lifestyle and dietary changes that were advised and haven't had the slightest twinge for 2 years now. And mine was really bad, I couldn't do a thing and the pain was absolutely horrific. Anyway, good luck and keep searching til you find what you need. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.