Rheumatoid arthritis and prostate cancer

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all. I have diagnosed with Prostate cancer 6 months ago, it is low grade and I have agreed to go on active surveilance, which means do nothing and see how it developes.

Problem is I have now been told that I must stop using my Biologic anti TNF Drug (Humira) which I really dont want to stop as it has brought me great relief for my rheumatiod arthritis.

Thing is after doing a lot of research I can not find any infomation about the reason why I need to stop my Humira.

Wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction to obtain guidance on this situation.

Thank you

Brian

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Brian,

Sorry hear about your prostate cancer/RA medication issues.

I googled contraindications for Humira usage with Prostate Cancer and sites there were quite specific and definite about the increased risk of either developing prostate  cancer in the first place  or it  ( presumably ) advancing more quickly.

You are obviously in a difficult position and the only right decision for you, will be the one you make yourself and feel most comfortable with, once you have becomefully informed.

Good Luck and Best Wishes

dudley

• Posted

Hi Brian,

My husband monitored his PSA for 15 years as it was thought that men whose Mothers had suffered with Breast Cancer were at a higher risk of Prostate Cancer.

when his PSA began to rise he had biopsies which confirmed he had Prostate Cancer but it was very early stage. 

He attended The Royal Marsden in London and was told that because he was at such an early stage he should consider active surveillancesurveillance

• Posted

Hi Brian,

i must have hit the wrong button, but to continue, my husband opted for active surveillance and was told that the cancer would tell them when he should have treatment or a prostatectomy.

when his PSA reached a level where a decision had to be made he opted for surgery which was carried out using the Da Vinci robot but when his results came back from the path lab it turned out that his cancer was all on one side of his prostate and that the biopsies had not given an accurate account of what was actually happening.

unfortunately his cancer had spread beyond the prostate and he now has metastatic prostate cancer in his hip.

I just wanted to be aware of active surveillance just monitor yourself carefully.

There was talk of Prostate Mapping which was said to be a more accurate way of finding out what was happening in the Prostate but I don't know if that is now a standard procedure.

I wish you good luck

• Posted

I am somewhat in the same boat as you so I don't know what happened in your case. I have been taking twice a month 40 mg Humira shots for psoriatic arthritis the last 10 years with a brief break for a year while I had both shoulders totally replaced. My most recent PI rads MRI showed fours and fives where year ago it was threes. I have also been dealing with an incredible amount of rectal and pelvic pain in the past couple years which I initially was sure was prostate related because of my history of infectious prostatitis every 5 years or so. I do have an appointment for a fusion guided transrectal prostate biopsy next Friday but they never even brought up the fact that I was on Humira which means to me to be significant. Seeing as there is already a much increased chance of sepsis or infection with a transrectal biopsy, which my neurologist still continues not to acknowledge, I am extremely concerned that I would be at much higher risk of sepsis or serious infection. My PSA in The Last 5 Years has been in the five to six Zone with one Spike to 9 and the latest being a 3. I am also taking bimonthly testosterone shots as when they finally got around to testing my testosterone levels it was below 200. Which if I do have prostate cancer of any form makes it much more likely to Aid the progress of the disease. And I'm getting evasive answers from my urologist personal assistant especially when I asked how many prostate biopsies he has done which I understand in the best-case should number in the hundreds to benefit from his increased experience. She said she didn't know and indicated no interest in finding out which is frustrating because I believe it is a reasonable question. She also indicated that they were going to do a 12 core biopsy with possibly a couple additional core samples for the Pirads areas of 4 and 5. From what little I understand about the trans perineal biopsies they do quite a bit more samples number wise. This started two and a half years ago with what I thought was just another bout of infectious prostatitis but when my first urologist finally got around to doing the Dre my prostate was not sore at all unlike previous occasions. My initial symptoms which closely mimiced those of infectious prostatitis, and in the last year grown to include extreme pain and soreness in what I would is described as the area just above the epididymis on both sides with the right side usually being worse. I was diagnosed a year ago with epididymal cysts but they claim that these should not be painful. Finally a year ago on my own I found a top internal physical therapist who probably cut my rectal pain in half as my puborectalis, levitor anis amd coccygeus and oblater muscles were tight as steel bands. My main concerns are sepsis or infection as I have been taking Humira the last 6 months as well as the small number of core samples they actually plan on taking from the areas identified as level 4 and 5. I'm thinking of canceling the prostate biopsy next Friday as they seem to be unwilling to answer the questions that I have. I also forwarded my Pi RADS MRI results to a urologist at the Cleveland Clinic for a second opinion. Confusing things further a year-and-a-half ago I began developing peripheral neuropathy in my feet and lower legs. I do know that I have L4 L5 and L5 S1 disc problems and what do they contribute to the neuropathy or may also be a factor in the pelvic and rectal pain I have no idea at this point. I wish they offered transperineal prostate biopsies in Ohio but unfortunately they're still in the dark ages in that respect. I'm probably going to cancel the biopsy next Friday and make new friends with my current urologist until I get better answers about his experience and increased risks of infection taking Humira.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.