Rheumatoid arthritis - developed popliteal cyst on knee. Anybody else?

Posted , 3 users are following.

About 6 months ago, I started to experience some pain in my knee that felt different to normal rheumatoid pain. Eventually I had a scan and I found out that I have a popliteal cyst (4cm). I struggle to walk, the whole knee is very swollen, it locks, clicks, and is generally very uncomfortable.  The only treatment I have been offered so far is physiotherapy to strengthen the muscles around the knee.  This has helped but, of course, the cyst isn't going to go away. This occurred whilst I was on Humira and was seen as a sign that Humira was not working for me.  I have switched back to Cimzia which works much better for my RA, but I feel as though this cyst is not going anywhere! Has anybody had a popliteal cyst? How was it treated? Any success with any treatment? Grateful for any experiences. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I was diagnosed with a Bakers cyst (same thing as popliteal cyst) before my RA diagnosis. I had a distinct swelling that could be felt but not easily seen behind the knee. It was painful when it occurred and remained sore up until my DMARD treatment became effective. It hardly troubles me now, but it still has a tenderness when tightly flexed. I have seen discussions that describe some really troublesome cases, where the cyst ruptures further into the muscle sheath up or down the leg, but none that discuss the relationship between DMARD treatment and the state of the cyst.
    • Posted

Thank you for your comment.  It's encouraging to hear that your cyst has essentially been 'controlled' by your treatment.  I was hoping mine would be once back on Cimzia, and maybe it will in time! I shall remain optimistic. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.