Rheumatoid disease, methotrexate and squamous cell carcinoma

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone.

I wanted to ask if anyone taking methotrexate for RA has gone on to have squamous cell carcinoma, particularly of the scalp. my mum, who has been on MXT for 3 years now, has developed SCCs, three of them, on her scalp and has just had one area biopsied. we await formal results. it may not be MXT related of course but I think its likely and the dermatologist thinks so too. what i was keen to ask is whether anyone in a similar position stopped MXT and also, would welcome any understanding on scalp SCCs is this context. Obviously we are really worried and to cap it all, we move home to a new area in 4 weeks and the hospital has now discharged us saying we will need to get out new GP, once registered, to make a new referral for the other lesions to be looked at and for possible wider excision of the first lesion. so grateful for any insight.

Thank you.

Paula.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hello Paula

Sorry your mum is having to go through this having been on MTX for15 years I have not experienced any of the ailments you mentionmention the only thing I have noticed is my hair has thined

I hope you get this sorted with a good outcome for your mother

Best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.