Rheumatoid Factor

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello. Can someone please tell me what this rheumatoid factor test result means:

20 iu/mL < i="" don't="" understand="" the="" symbol="" being="" in="" that="" place.="" the="" normal="" range="" is="" expressed="">< 20iu/ml

thanks. 20iu/ml="">

thanks.>

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

The < sign means below that number and i don't think it matters where it's put; whether it's in front of or at the end of the equation. this rf result shows under 20. that's not extremely high, but it's high enough to show a positive result.  sign="" means="" below="" that="" number="" and="" i="" don't="" think="" it="" matters="" where="" it's="" put;="" whether="" it's="" in="" front="" of="" or="" at="" the="" end="" of="" the="" equation.="" this="" rf="" result="" shows="" under="" 20.="" that's="" not="" extremely="" high,="" but="" it's="" high="" enough="" to="" show="" a="" positive="">
    • Posted

Thank you; that's what I thought.

My symptoms in the last few days leave me in little doubt that RA cannot be ruled out. I just have to convince the GP to refer me now, without positive blood tests. I have a feeling that will be difficult.

• Posted

Make sure they also test your CCP levels. Those are the inflammation levels and if you have both a high RF and high CCP, it's definitely RA. That said, you one of those in the high range and one negative and STILL have RA. If you can't get your GP to budge, get a second opinion. RA is one of those conditions that doesn't always show up in tests. It doesn't mean you don't have it. Good luck to you and keep us posted! smile
    • Posted

Replied to elbow but meant to reply to you LeicesterLass, sorry, please see below.
    • Posted

Thanks. My symptoms might look like RA (hence my GP sent me for the test) but he seems satisfied that it isn't. Could it be significant that the test was "positive", albeit within normal range? 

• Posted

Hello.  I have had a similiar experience.  All my tests are normal (except they won't give me the RF number, just saying it is normal) but I have had swelling to both knees for over 3 months now I would guess and body wide joint and muscle pain, fatigue for 4 weeks.  I am just coming out of my intense fatigue after 4 weeks but whilst some of my knee swelling has gone down, the knees are still incredibly stiff and very sore when bearing weight.  Pain in ankles, fingers, hips, elbows etc.  Its been awful!  I have the majority of symptoms for RA (including dry red eyes that was being treated through my optician prior to all this flaring up) but no additional morning stiffness above waht one might expect before taking medication and getting moving.  It's taken me 4 doctor and one physio to get a referral onwards to address whether this is RA or osteo with something else.  My advice is to become a pest. One of my doctors asked me how I was and I rold her that I had one day out of 4 weeks when I didn't have to take a nap.  She saw this as improvement and sent me home.  I eventually got my referral via a report from a physio they sent me to for all over joint pain and muscle ache (and 2 bakers cysts).  Persevere for your referral and good luck x
    • Posted

I have helped my knees by attaching small weights and whilst sitting lift both legs. If you have an exercise bike try short sessions on it. Trust me the pain eventually reduces as you become more mobile. Best of luck.
    • Posted

Thank you, I'm much more mobile now!  Having problems with my ankles now though but much mire tolerable and back at work :0)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.