Rheumatoid lung nodules

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was diagnosed with RA in September 2017. Originally it was thought that I had pulmonary nodules from metastatic cancer. After a biopsy and positive anti CCP, it was determined I have RA. I have no joint symptoms at this time. My concern is that I have read that RA lung disease can lead to ILD which is ultimately fatal without a lung transplant. Has anyone else had issues with RA lung nodules?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have not but I have heard others had, what I hadn't heard was that it could lead to ILD.  That's scary! 

• Posted

hi susan i have RA lung nodules got a scan for each year for 2 yrs just they could be kept an eye on but its 4 yrs on never had no more scans done but seem to be coping fine with mtx i take each week but i have never had anymore issues good luck susan 👍

• Posted

I was diagnosed with RA related pulmonary fibrosis in 2015- one year after RA diagnosis.i had a persistent cough after a biologic I tried which led to crackles being heard in my lungs. So my med was changed to a different biologic.like you I looked up pulmonary fibrosis - or ILD - as the consultant sometimes puts on the reports and got a scare! Don't know if a pulmonary nodule is related to this?

However, i wasn't out of breath and am still not. Is that the case with you? My pulmonary breathing tests stay the same.

Reading more info apparently more people than previously known have RA related lung disease. It s coming to light because people s joint symptoms are being better controlled by the new biologic meds and so they are more active. ( this is the case for me)

i should forget about your diagnosis- seriously! But if you get any joint stiffness, tenderness, fatigue etc then make sure you get treatment ASAP. Early intense treatment holds back the course of this disease.

all the best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.