Rheumatoid nurse score sheet

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello all

Been to see nurse today for first time amd she marked a score sheet for swollen joints and affected joints. I scored 6 for swollen and 24 for affected joints. These include large and small joints. Im new to all this so is that score normal for Ra?

Many thanks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm very interested to find out what's normal too! They use those numbers along with your blood tests to get a disease activity score (DAS).

I was surprised to find out that they don't include your feet in the score, particularly because I'm having problems with my feet at the moment!

• Posted

Hello

She didnt include mine but did look at them. So how do we know how bad we are. My bblood tests are negative apart from rf which is slightly raised.

• Posted

It puzzles me too that feet aren't included which you think would be seen as thou you struggle in agony on them.Then they ask you on a pain threshold of 1-10 what each joint is as they press it.I'll tell you once I come off the ceiling.other joints you have to say its more else they won't help you.Tomorrow you could be worse and you've waited all those months for nothing.
  • Posted

Yes your experience is normal and what will happen at any Rhuemy appointment. Sometimes you're also asked to give a pain score on a line of either 1 to 10 or 1 to 100. 1 being absolute pain / discomfort etc. I was also told by my rhuematologist that feet are not included in modern DAS scores as it takes up too much clinic time. Ironic really as our feet are usually the thing's causing the most problems. My advice for future appt....use your phone camera to take pictures of ANY swelling, redness or similar, then you can show them what you mean if you're symptoms are different next time. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.