Rheumatology Appointment

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I have my first rheumatology appointment next week, suffering lots of symptoms, been put on Naproxen by GP. Is it a good idea to come off these (only helped a bit) before my appointment so that they can see the problem in its true light or carry on taking them?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

My rheumy advised only paracetamol - but that s alongside meds he prescribed.

but I understand why you re asking as naproxen is an anti inflammatory painkiller so your GP has been trying to reduce the inflammation a bit. I guess it s your choice. They will no doubt ask if you are taking anything. If you re suffering lots of symptoms it will be clinically evident despite naproxen .

are you taking a friend with you? There's a lot to take in on the first visit.

• Posted

Hi, yes, my husband is coming, I'm just scared of missing out something and being told to come back in 3 months etc, my gut feeling tells me it is RA and although I don't want it, at least if I get it diagnosed earlier I can start getting my head round it instead of waiting months and months to know what's wrong with me!

• Posted

Absolutely!

i kind of thought I had it too before I was diagnosed 2 half years ago. It takes some adapting to but I definitely felt the more informed I could be the more positive I could be. If it is RA they will start to treat it early and aggressively , which is the current approach, but it varies from individual to individual how quickly they find what works for you.

mine was severe and I ended up on a biologic 9 months later which has worked brilliantly for me. Others respond to the first drug that is tried.

i do hope you get some answers when you go. All the best.

• Posted

If the Naproxen helps only a bit, you would know to describe the location(s) of aching and the type of pain. And with RA you will probably have clinical proofs (slightly deformed/swallen joints, blood tests, x-Rays, etc.). You may reduce the painkiller just to see how you are coping with pain, but I am not sure that you gave to... Why don't you call the clinic and ask the nurse what to do? Good luck!

• Posted

Hi, my X-rays and blood tests came back negative, much to the surprise of my GP, since my first appt it has spread all the way across hands, up past elbows and now knees, but as I am currently sero-negative I know it is more difficult to diagnose, taken pics and videos and kept a diary but think if I come of meds it will be easier for them to see what's going on?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.