Rheumatology confirms inflammatory arthritis. What can i do next.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Currently they are thinking Seronegative arthritis, taken more bloods and prescribed me a steroid and also Sulfasazine. The issue started with my knees.

Rheumatology have requested further x-rays and also bloods fortnightly. Will be arranging physio as well. 

Is there a list of physios/masseuse that are recommended for people with arthritis? (London area)

Anyone know of a certifiable knee sleeves/tights? 

Anything else i could be doing in the mean time whilst im waiting for the medication to kick in???

Is there a DMARD proven to prevent cartilage damage? 

What’s the average time people have before they have to start thinking about surgery/deformities?

I'm happy with links to my answers if it saves you typing. 

Really would appreciate this.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I have RA seronegative, diagnosed about 16 years ago started in my fingers followed by wrists feet ankles etc, I was put on Sulfasalazine and naproxen which worked ok, but a few months ago inflammation started rising, joints got worse pain etc, I was given methotrexate only on it about a week and ended up in A and E with terrible gut problems, after that I was given Benepali a biological drug and works great no inflammation now and no side effects, you could check out Turmeric 95% Curcumin supplement with piperine said to be anti inflammatory, lots of info online, damage to joints can start pretty quick some of mine got damaged early on within a few months I seem to recall.
    • Posted

Thanks for the fast reply. Initially i thought i had damaged my ligaments/tendons. MRI showed thickening around the walls of the joint. I only took naproxen for when i needed to do anything important. Starting to wish i took it more often, the swelling never went.

I will check out the supplements and especially the meds you been given.

Personally im hoping its not arthritis at all and this is just a misdiagnosis.

Martin, in a nut shell as long as the inflammation is controlled the cartilage is fine then. If its just the pain i will suffer id be grateful. 

• Posted

Martin

Interested in knowing how do u know there is damage? I am concerned as I have been battling for 2 years was on prednisone then methotrexate which caused nasty side effects. I reduced the prednisone right down to 3mg then placed on a biological agent simponi the pains came back especially feet and ankles now fingers and wrists. Changed to acterma. The pain subsided slightly the feet and ankles really bad cant stand for too long. Have major side effects with throat condition difficulty swallowing and mouth ulcers. Dont know what to do. Is this disease progressing i cant seem to get good response from my rheummy.

• Posted

Hi again I don't think people get surgery in general for RA, it's all about halting the inflammation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.