Rheumatology referral

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all,

I'll try and keep this short smile

May 2017 I started getting pain in my right pinky finger joints, this went away after around 2 months, then it came back and also spread to my ankle. I went to my GP, and got sent for blood tests. At this first appointment there was no visible swelling, redness or heat of the joints. 

Blood test came back normal, was told to try vit D for 3 months and then go back, so I did and nothing changed. 

Pain spread to my left hand, both feet and my spine during this time.

Went back to the GP, this time my left hand finger joint was visibly swollen and hot to the touch, he said it was 'active inflammation' so ordered more blood tests. 

Just got them back and they're all clear again, no Rheumatoid factor, esr, ccp etc.

Pain comes and goes in some joints, at the minute my ankles feel fine and my original right hand pain is lessening, but still pain in left hand and spine, anyone else get joints that aren't all sore at the same time??

GP said he can't understand what's going on cos all the inflammatory markers are normal, although I forgot to ask if they had risen within the normal range from the first blood test. So I finally got a referral to a rheumatologist.

Worried that the rheumy is just gonnna say watch and wait or that there's nothing wrong with me cos my bloods are normal, Ive been in pain for nearly a year so just want it sorted, what could this be if it's not rheumatoid arthritis 🤷🏼??? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

My story is similar to yours except I have visible swelling of my knuckles of both hands all the time now. My bloods have been normal also but I am in extreme pain. Also shoulder and foot pain that comes and goes. Headed to rheumy dr on Wednesday ad am wondering what diagnoses will be!
    • Posted

Sorry to hear you're in pain, our symptoms sound quite similar! Did your gp give you any idea of why your bloods keep coming back normal? Good luck at your appointment! Hope you get the answers you need

• Posted

Hi Ker, my rheumatoid started the same, every time I done something that put a strain on the joints it would start off pain and inflammation in those joints, always starting on the right side then later moving to the left, this went on for several months, first it was my thumb after cutting a carpet with large scissors, then in my foot after wearing new sandels, the doctor said it was because they were flat and to buy some arch supports, then I had a job that involved a lot of lifting and got it in the shoulder, that's when they started to investigate, it wasn't until the third blood test many months later that the rhumatoid factor showed up, I can't remember exactly how long, sorry, as it was almost 30 years ago now. Medication is so much better now than it was then and helps you lead an almost normal life, sending very best wishes.

• Posted

Hi there, I definitely had pain that would flit from joint to joint. My first recollection was awful shoulder pain. I couldn’t raise my arm in any direction then it went in about 3-4 days. A week later I had it again. In the other shoulder! Again it went in 3-4 days. It was bizarre. I didn’t have anything for a few weeks (this was about 6 years ago) then my fingers started. One would swell and be painful, go down and another start. Bizarre pattern.  What I did learn to do was take photos and write things (and questions) down.  Good luck. Hope you get some answers. Carol x
  • Posted

Hi Kat

Mine started 15 years ago like you mine still moves around to different joints

Wrists, fingers worse left than right,

Knees right then left,

Right shoulder,

It is characteristic of RA doesn't always show in bloods but there are always other indicators

The RA team know there stuff and im sure they'll be able to help you

One thing for sure RA is never predictable

Good luck with your appointment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.