rhinitis is destroying my life

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

I have always had mild difficulties with sneezing watery eyes and such but in the last 3-4 months I have been experiencing severe symptoms that are impacting on my life.

I have constant congestion, in the morning I sneeze sometimes for as long as an 90 minutes, I often feel nausea and very phlegmy and at almost exactly 11pm I sneeze intermittently till around 12-1am. When manage to go to bed I have difficulty sleeping because of the blocked nose. Its not all bad as I do have some days where I experience mild symptoms.

The doctor has given me steroids which stop the sneezing but leave me completely congested. I also have a nasal spray which stops the congestion but just makes me sneeze until the congestion returns.

However since this started I have notice my sense of smell has all but disappeared except for a foul sewage like smell that plagues me. I have been reading about necrosis in the nose where cells within the nasal cavity die and give off a foul smell.

Does anyone out there experience this and what can be done to help with this problem?

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Jonnibravo..... I'm here to help! 

I can absolutley sympathize with you as your story is exactly the same as mine. Though you didn't say your age? Normally this issues start in your 20's. As if we don't have enough to deal with in our 20's right! So let me get started. I would wake every morning surrounded by tissues. I would be woken up by sneezing every day. The doctor gave me spays - which didn't seem to help at all. It got worse  till finally I had my first surgery at 19 to remove polyps from both nostrals.for 4 years or so after that I was just ok..not great but not as bad. Then at 28 I had another surgery. This time in the USA which is where I now live. Sadly a year later the polyps started to come back. Which is just how it works. Its not a cure and if I'd known then what I know now I would of never had it in the first place. If you don't have polyps that's great, if you do get them try to change a few life style things. If you drink beer or wine this can make them worse, Smoking is bad, wheat is bad, air conditioned/heating can dry up your senses. Try and drink plenty of water, it keeps your nasel linning moist which helps. Take an anti histamine at night before bed.Perfume makes me sneeze, so I spray it on my back only..if I wear it at all. And my absolute must have is Tea Tree oil. I apply it on a polyp with a q tip when it become visable and within a few days its gone! It burns but works. I hope this helps a little. In a nut shell, be healty, eat right and take care of your body. It will heal it's self, stay strong!     

• Posted

I've had 8 surgeries to remove polyps, the last one was 2 years ago and so far I'm polyp free.  First you have to find out what you are allergic to. I am allergic to dust mites. So in the mornings I was at my worst. I covered the mattress and box spring with dust mite proof encasing and also the pillows.  Huge difference, I also started immunotherapy shots. I lost my sense of smell but I don't have anymore allergy attacks. 
  • Posted

I have been used "Entrelief's products" for leaving  rhinitis which is the most advanced is the sigh of relief items. The special spray bottle in the kit, practically locked carrying bags containing xylitol can respond to all your needs with a unique nasal wash product.
  • Posted

Hi jonnib

similar syptoms here

i would have to say don't get talked into surgery, it is expensive, invasive and only treats a symptom. 

Ive looked at rhinitis up, down and sideways...

Prednisone for example steroid anti inflammatory will help in the short-term and won't do too much harm taken occasionally while  you search for the cause. 

The body changes over time, and modern life affects us-pollution and irritants, modern food processing and diet are big causes. As I was told, it has taken time for these symptoms to appear, so will take time for them to diminish. 

Try a vegetable rich diet, some meat, less grains, and vegetable juices, lots of. I mean a pint a day of carrot/celery combo for eg.

Not a lot of fruit.  

Some irritants are - excess sugar and fruit sugar, wheat and white bread stuff, anything processed and refined, and sadly beer and wine and grain based booze. 

You may have to radically overhaul your diet and lifestyle but the rhinitis can be pushed back a bit. Natural therapies are better to try than the scalpel, but extremes probably won't help (salt rooms ?? Hmmm). 

The body can right itself but you need to help. 

You probably don't have a necrosis, it's just an infection, and a reaction to the irritants. Keep washing nose and try natural anti-inflammatory treatments and foods. Turmeric for example. 

I found fresh foods, herbs and spices and healthy eating make me feel way better over-all, less convenient, but fresh turmeric and great juices, good natural foods and beverages all help counter the effects of living a convenient, modern and less healthy life previously. 

Try a naturopath perhaps. Doctors sell drugs and surgery. 

Good luck and enjoy the brief moments of respite until things improve. If you discover any breakthroughs please let us know. 

Alex

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.