Rhomboid and trapezius muscle back spasm

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys sorry but I'm back again, had the worst weekend, woke up sumday morning and my rhomboid and trapezius muscles had gone into spasm omg it was excruciating, took 15 mg diazapam and 100 mg Celebrex, this was after a few days of upper back burning pain which I suffer almost constantly but this was on another level, for those that don't know I have a thoracic arachnoid cyst compressing my spinal cord at t 2-6 approx (depends on what doc you see) c6 bulging disc and load other crap going on with back and neck, off for MRI on 8th may then app with neuro on 17th but I'm so sick now as I k ow he's going to say there not connected and I'll have to wait another year with this agony just to hear him say the same again, any advice as to what to say to him as I feel like he's playing it down and my theory is because it was caused by a lumbar fussion I had 14 years ago 😊

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi caroline 

sorry to hear your in so much pain ....unless you experience pain like this its impossible for others to understand what your going through 

have you considered baclofen for the spasms ...less chance of addiction compared to diazepam and safer .. also why are you not on gabapentin or pregablin(lyrica ).. the pain is obviously affecting nerves ( thus the spasms and pain ) so used in conjunction with a muscle relaxant and celebrex this could give you more releif 

i may have to agree with the cause being the lumbar fusion ... surgery on the spine is delicate and can affect the complete structure of the spine .. maybe not instantly but later down the line ........

im now ok with my throasic herniated discs...... on 900mg gabapentin ( 3 x 3 daily ) ...weekly physio and im about to begin cognetive behaviour therapy to learn how to understand my medical problems .... thats half the problem .. we have back problems ( and other medical problems ) but we really dont understand why were getting the pain and discomfort and more importantly how to deal with it .. CBT helps with this 

anyway i hope your better caroline and best wishes 

• Posted

I have to agree, it sounds like you have more of a neuropathic pain than an inflammatory pain, I really don't get the celebrex.  I also can think of better muscle relaxers than valium.  Different people respond differently to each one, you need to try each of them and see which works best for you with the least side effects.  For instance, tizandine really wipes some people out.  I would definitely switch out the celebrex for a neuropathic pain drug, something like lyrica, gapapentin, topomax.  All of these drugs are also rather sedating, so go slow with them and take as small amount as you need. There is no need to be in agony for a year, there are good drugs out there and a simple medication change just takes a quickie 10-15 min office visit.

• Posted

Hi guys and thanks for your replies, I went to see my neuro surgeon on Wednesday and he's sending me for an EMG test but said he was worried about the results because it might not be what we want, he's worried about the cyst and spinal cord because an opp will leave me paraplegic or even death.

I was taking Celebrex for back stiffness but have stoped them now as I gained so much weight in a short time, I was also taking gabapentin for nerve pain and they are great but I cut back and now find myself with withdrawal pains yet again and the diazaoam is the only thing that works for me but I only take it when Iv had enough as I know how addictive they are, I hate being on meds because long term damage scares me and Iv been on a lot in the past 6-7 years, I'm looking into the C*D oil but it's really expensive, hope yous are ok and having a good day😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.