Rib and Chest pain

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello everybody. I hope you don't mind but I am new to this forum and have not been diagnosed with anything as of yet. I am having a number of tests and scans done for my abdomen in the mean time as doctors are edging more towards this. 

I was just curious as to whether or not anybody else suffers with cramp like pain in their ribs that seems to radiate into their back too. The pain is a cramp like feeling but can also feel like spasms that move in my ribs and spreads around.

I also get sharp cramp like pain in my chest, or a shooting pain. This pain only lasts for a few seconds. This, as a anxious person, scares me! 

I'm not sure what this could be but just wanted to feel like I am not alone. This has been happening since October last year and really impacting my day to day life.

Thanks again 

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

It could very easily be Costochondritis, its very frightening and can cause really horrific pain and escalate anxiety symptoms. So long as they have tested you for your heart which would be the first thing then you could take OTC meds and stretching exercises do help.

Hot baths also help or hot shower's directed on the areas that hurt.

Get your partner to massage the areas and you will probably find that there are trigger points which hurt when pressed hard.

• Posted

More info on Costochondritis can be found here 

https://patient.info/health/chest-pain-leaflet/costochondritis

At the moment, I have pain in the front lower left half of my rib cage. ?I found it helps me to massage trigger points. To do that I gently dig my fingers below the edge of the rib cage and massage the painful ligaments and muscles. I also try to inhale deeply in regular intervals even though I find it painful. You could try a bath with Epsom salt or applying Magnesium oil. Mg sometimes helps with cramping muscles.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.