Rib/chest pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi has anyone experienced sore/swollen feeling on left side of body? Below breast? cant quite pin point the exact part of the body its coming from but thinking it might be ribs/stomach in that area? It seems to move about in that area thinks its slightly swollen but abit confused? The pain comes and goes and has been here for a month now, waiting of a ultrasound scan? Just wondering if anyones had anything similar? Neck/throat/ear still hurts on & off too sad fed up of different symptoms all the time & wondering if they are leading to something else sad

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Dont believe its my spleen koz the pain seems further along and a diff kind of pain from when my spleen was swollen ??
  • Posted

Hi Poppy,

So sorry to hear you're still having this awful pain in that area. It could very well be just the glands in that middle area, I used to get unexplained pain in there too. Hoping you don't have to wait too long for ultra sound, you did the right thing going to get that and hoping it can reassure you and put your mind at rest - remember it is very normal to have all sorts of weird aches and pains during this, so it is most likely caused by the mono and will pass over - but do keep checking in with the doc and hoping you don't have to wait long for your scan.

Sending hugs and prayers.

Craig

• Posted

Thsnks for your reply craig always there with kind wirds smile hope your ok smile it just scares you when the docs cant even reassure you because they dont know the ins & outs! I just keep taking each day as it comes in the hope it goes soon but it's very draining sad

• Posted

I'm not a doctor, but I've been fighting mono symptoms since 2005. Mono sometimes causes your spleen to swell, causing pain or discomfort on your left side as you described. I've read that you shouldn't strain yourself by lifting heavy objects. I also have neck pain & a very sore throat. I gargle with warm salt water for throat pain and found that Aleve helps with body aches & pains. I had blood drawn last week & should get results today. Not that there's anything that will help but bed rest, eating healthy, prayers & avoiding stress. Doctors just don't know what to do with us. Feel better, Poppy.....

• Posted

Hi susan some of your symptoms sound similar ive had my bloods done they came back normal thankfully but im far from right? Surely there is something the doc can give is all i keep thinking! Wow how have you coped all this time you poor thing i just keep telling myself surely you havent got much longer to go till it leaves for good sad but it gets so tiring not being able to be yourself!! Havent a clue how i caught it/how it started? My doc has recommended physio for my neck shes thinks its muscular? But i havent a clue? Got an app  tomoz but the docs dont seem to know all the symptoms sad
    • Posted

Hi Poppy, mono is caused by the Epstein Barr virus which, once in your system, never goes away. I had a mild case of mono last year for about 8 months. I turned 70 in January, had stomach surgery in March, and started seeing mono symptoms the end of April. I need to gain weight but have little appetite. This time around, I seem to be getting worse every day. It's a struggle to get appetizing, healthy foods because I have no energy to get up & cook. I try not to get depressed because I want my life back. My 2 trips to my doctor's office last week really knocked me out. I'm a mess, but finding this chat group has helped a lot. I was astonished when I found out about all of the symptoms everyone is experiencing. I didn't know that stress can bring on mono. Anyway, hope you start feeling better.

• Posted

Oh Susan I'm so sorry to hear that you've had such an awful debilitating experience over so many years. There's no words that can express how difficult this must be, I really hope that this kind of relapse you are having right now settles down very soon. I just wish this horrible virus would leave people alone and not cause the horrible pain and destruction it does in people's lives.

Susan I'm trusting that Jesus is the great physician, that there is still hope today for your recovery and a much brighter future ahead, despite of all you have been through - I know that must be hard to see or feel with what you've experienced, but praying for you and asking God to intervene and break the power of this virus in your life once and for all and for a marvellous breakthrough to come for you.

Thinking of you and hoping for a more settled week.

Craig

• Posted

Yes!! I have this! I'm in Month 9 of Mono and this pain started way back when my Mono first onset. It feels like a tenderness and when it's bad enough it can be uncomfortable to lay on my left side. Sometimes I will also have this burning/tingling sensation coming from this area. Just brushing my hand over my skin will help to relieve that irritation. When I look at my skin, I can even see that this area is swollen.

In the beginning I had an ultrasound and my spleen (and other internal organs) looked fine. My doctor decided this left-side pain was due to my body being "out of alignment" due to all the laying around I have been doing. My doctor suggested the chiropractor for an adjustment. I tried that, but I didn't notice much difference. At this point, I am convinced it is Mono related because of the way it decreases quite a bit when I'm feeling better. (I've had two Mono relapses and each time the side pain improved as I was getting better and then returned when I relapsed.)

Now, I notice that when my other Mono symptoms are worse (sore throat, fatigue, etc.), this side pain also feels worse.

Is what I've described similar to what you've been feeling? It feels affirming and mentally relieving to hear someone else describe this!

• Posted

Hi kris it definitley sounds similar doesnt it its quite scary when the pains kick in i was worried its maybe something with my heart/lungs/ribs? Im the same i cant lie on it when it flares up ive got a docs app again tomoz i would like some answers im currently waiting for an unltrasound this pain feels in a diferent area from when my spleen was swollen if tht makes sense? Its seems we have similar symptoms with with the throat too i to keep getting sore throats/ear pains also as well as sore neck i really just want it to go away ive been taking vitamins and trying to eat healthier ive also started exercising again a couple of times a week because my fatigue only lasted a couple of months its more the diff body pains that wont go away sad i very much doubt my doc will do anything tomoz but surely theyre must be something for the swollen area? Iburofen doesnt always work sorry for rambling hope you have a speedy recovery from now on smile
    • Posted

Hi Poppy,

Really hope you get on okay at the doctors, I know that feeling of feeling weary keeping going to doctors and feeling like you are getting nowhere. It's so hard to deal with emotionally as well as the physical symptoms you are going through. Remember although it is slightly frustrating in a way that the blood tests show clear, it really is a good thing Poppy and is most likely a sign that it is the mono causing this and nothing else. I was exactly the same had blood tests done a lot and after initial blood test which showed mono, it was clear all the time apart from once where my liver showed slightly off.

It sounds like Susan has been through a terrible time with the virus, and although the virus stays dormant in your system that doesn't mean to say that most people don't get better from this - far from it remember over 90% of the western world have the EBV virus in their system and are fit and healthy.

Thinking of you and hoping for a more settled week for you and for these horrible pains to go away. Hang in there, Poppy, I believe you're going to get better fully I truly do, in Jesus name.

Craig

• Posted

Hey Kris,

This sounds awful to deal with the symptoms you have been describing, really just hoping and praying for a turning point really soon for you Kris. I firmly believe that you have been through the worst of this, my experience was definitely that Year 2 was so much free-er and easier to live than Year 1, it felt like I had my life back again. It was around 10 months I seen a turning point, and although it still took a bit of time to feel 100%, it came with time and I believe a breakthrough is on its way for you too - thinking about you and trusting in God to pull you through -hang in there!

Craig

• Posted

You're welcome Kris, just really hoping and praying you feel much better soon - I know how horrible this thing is and just want you and everyone to be free of it - you will be I truly believe that, hang in there.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.