Rib Exostosis

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hopefully this is the right message board. I couldnt find anything else that really matched. During a chest CT a few months ago prior to surgery for a tumor removal in my bikini line, the CT showed that I have exostosis on 3 of my ribs on the right side.

per my CT, 4 mm bony exostosis arising from the cortex of the posterior right 4th rib, noting a smaller 2 to 3 mm area of cortical thickening in the similar location right posterior 3rd rib. there is an exostosis on the 5th rib right posterior too. but it doesnt state the size

but neither my PCP nor my surgical oncologist have ever said anything about it and if its anything to be concerned about. no clue what type of Dr/physician to see about it either.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hallo Alexei. These bony lumps are fairly rare on the ribs and often its because you have inherited the tendency to form them. Have either of your parents had them ? Or chest pain that no one can find a reason for?They are usually left alone unless they cause pain. I guess you have no pain or symptoms as you havent mentioned it.

They usually grow in childhood and stop growing once the bony growth plates stop growing, in late teens

They are usually removed via keyhole surgery, and if you want to follow this up you will need a Thoracic surgeon.

You dont say what kind of tumour was removed from your abdomen, but if it was cancerous I am guessing you may be keen to have a biopsy of one of these bony growths, but do be guided by what your consultant advises.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.