Ride side of body heavy/numb for months, muscle twitches, right side of face numb

Posted , 6 users are following.

Symptoms started about 3 months ago with a numb/perceived weakness in my right arm. This feeling started to slowly spread up my shoulder and into my lower back and now it’s on the whole right side of my body. The feeling is in my face and it makes my eye and cheek feel numb and puffy. It’s almost like I can’t feel the muscles moving on the right side of my face only the left. I have slight neck pain and have been experiencing muscle twitches all over my body almost everyday. I also recently started noticing my hand shakes when I hold my phone.  It does not affect my clinical strength as far as I can tell. Sometimes my arm gets tingly as well. 

I have had a CAT scan and MRI of brain and both came back normal. All blood work is normal (thyroid, vit def., lymes, RBC count, ect...)

The feeling is very aggravating, it’s almost like I just can feel my right arm and leg all the time, even when laying down. It’s a hard feeling to describe, almost like something is squeezing around the right side of my body. Some days I hardly notice it and others it bothers me a lot and almost feels painful. 

No memory fog. Vision problems. Bladder issues. Ect...only symptoms described above. 

I have a appt with a neurologist on September 5th. 

Also I’m 23, Male, in good shape, no other medical issues.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I have the exact same issues, only on my left side. Mine happened when I was driving around the beginning of July. Check out my thread, “Symptoms of MS/ALS? Or just anxiety?”. I go more in depth there. However, I am having some pretty bad memory fog at points and my vision goes kinda blurry in my left eye. There’s this weird “pressure” behind it. My body is also rather stiff sometimes as well.

I haven’t had a CAT scan or an MRI because my primary won’t order one so I unfortunately have to wait to see the neurologist which takes forever in a day to get into. 

Keep me updated on what happens/if you see a new doc! 

• Posted

Hey mcadams,

Strange your primary won’t order an mri... maybe find a second opinion. If you’re from an area with ticks get tested for Lymes. I found that anxiety can cause a person to have Ghost symptoms, usually from googling different disease and all of a sudden the symptoms listed appear in your own body. So try to figure out what symptoms are anxiety and what symptoms might be from something else. 

MS doesn’t seem completely unrealistic although rare, but I definitely would not worry about ALS unless you all of a sudden can’t use a part of your body and you see clear muscle loss. Neither of our symptoms seem resemble ALS at all other than muscle twitching but that could be a 100 things, including anxiety lol. I’ll keep you updated though! 

• Posted

Well, he ordered the bloodwork and the EMG which all came back normal. So he said he doesn’t think anymore testing is needed right now. I have some “weakness” on the left side of my body. I can’t flex muscles as hard as my right and I can’t flex my left vastus medialis which is worrisome. My left calf almost feels stringy or ropey. I wouldn’t say I have muscle loss but my left side is definitely different than my right. I went to an internal medicine doctor and all they said was that I needed to see a neurologist. 

Yeah, I’m definitely trying to see what’s anxiety and what isn’t. Sometimes my twitches are bad and other times, they aren’t.

• Posted

Were you sick at all (virus, otherwise) within a few week or so of the onset of symptoms? Or a vaccination? It seems many, including myself, had some sort of illness just prior to onset. I share some of your same symptoms, also on my right side primarily, but I'm now at month 14 and things have slowly gotten better. I still experience strange "sensations" of numbess/tingling, etc., but certainly better than at onset. I've had every test imaginable, and so far the only thing that has come back abnormal has been it appears EBV may have reactivated (likely due to pregnancy ... all of my symptoms began around 1.5 weeks postpartum), elevated ANA (but negative for all autoimmune diseases), and low vitamin D. I saw the director of neuroimmunology at the Mayo Clinic who thought perhaps a virus I had during delivery stirred up my immune system, and that combined with a "highly sensitive neurological system" resulted in my current symptoms. Best of luck to you.

• Posted

Hi Amanda,

No, my symptoms came on out of the blue. No illness or anything notable prior to onset of symptoms. I do notice that after I don’t get a lot of sleep or if I had been drinking the night before my symptoms are much much worse. That’s about all though! Good luck to you to I will keep you updated if I figure anything out! 

• Posted

In the previous months had you had any medications  prescribed ? Some types of medication including antibiotics can cause very delayed symptoms..
    • Posted

Hi Derek,

Only medication I take is Claritin for allergies. But I’ve been taking Claritin for years. I had a sinus infection a few months before these symptoms showed up but I just cured it with sinus flushing saline solution and vitamin C. Can’t think of the last prescription medication I needed. What would be the reason for medication to cause these symptoms and is there a solution to the problem? 

• Posted

No problem with what you had taken there. Many of us have been affected by 'Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome'  long after having been prescribed them.  

• Posted

Hi Matt! Try to have an xray or MRI of your Spine. Please update us of the result. Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.