Ridges across the nail

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have a series of small ridges (about 7 I think) running across the toe next to my big toe on my right foot. No other lines like this can be seen on other nails. They are horizontal, but do not quite reach the edge of the nail. What could the cause of this be?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

They are known as Beau's lines. Have you hurt that toe at all, perhaps stubbed it?
    • Posted

Possibly, although can't remember a particular incident...could it just be down to stress/force then?
    • Posted

Nails can tell a lot about illnesses as well, on the other hand tight shoes, banging your toe etc might have done it. 
  • Posted

Hi Tom do you suffer from athletes foot? It's a fungal problem. It sounds as if you have possibly damaged the cutical on that nail. A beau's line is usually a single line, which appears when you have been ill. If the former, try an anti fungal cream or powder, if the latter, don't worry it will grow out. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.