riding bike

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

I had my TKR April 16 and I can get to 90 flex. I can not pedal my stationary bike all the way around yet even after raising the seat. The therapist wants me to force it. Has anyone ever done this? He said I wont do any damage..

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes, at first it’s painful, just keep going backwards and forwards and little by little go a bit further round each time.  You will achieve it eventually. Just keep practicing.  Good luck. 
  • Posted

I had mine 23/03/18 and have started the gym with the pt. I have 105° flex and cannot manage to do the cycle. By accident the pedal went round and my god did it hurt so won't be persuing that for a whole. She was not worried at all and said at my own pace so don't push your body it'll know when it's right.

• Posted

HI. I  had trouble biking as well because the left knee had poor bend. The PTs told me to keep trying and push a bit.  No damage should be done. I eventually was able to bike. I tried my outdoor bike at home, but I’m still not steady enough. Keep trying. It will come. Good luck
  • Posted

You have to break down the scar tissue.  "Forcing it" is a very relative term.  Baby the knee and you will never get to 120.  It's different for everyone but there comes a point, a painful point, where you have to "break through" your current limit to get to the next level.  I started outside PT sessions in week 3+ at -14 / +84.  Finished at week 12 with a ROM of -1 / +123.  Got stuck at -4 for weeks.  That took a lot of work...and some pain.  This is NOT easy.  Yes, you have to keep extending and bending.  Do all the exercises the PT gives you.  Here are some extras for home:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-rom-work-at-home-620053

#3 is a KILLER but oh so effective.  You have to break down that scar tissue to lead a normal life again.  Be strong, be patient...but do the work!!!  You will not regret it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.