Rieters Reactive arthritis, causing me soooo much pain !

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

Im new to this site.

Im 37, female with four children. In july of 2008 I started to get stiff swollen fingers in the mornings, then it progressed into my knees wrists, ankles, hips, neck and clavicle area. I also had conjunctivitis, mouth ulcers and Keratoderma blennorrhagica. I am in terrible pain most days, i was house bound for three months. I was then admitted into hospital, they aspirated my knees and injected steroids into them, also i was on an iv with steroids also. I am taking diahydracodiene, paracetamol and tramadol for pain relief, although these dont seem to affect the pain too much, just makes me feel sick. I am also taking Lansoprazole, Celexocib, methotrexate, folic acid and last week i started taking Salazopryin. I had to go back into hospital last week as all swelling and pain became significantly worse, my rheumy aspirated my knees and put me on an IV again, said i need to go back for an MRI of my knees, because most of the swelling isnt synovial fluid but because of damage to ligaments and tendons, then a camera inserted into my knee and possible further surgery. I am already having to have surgery on my hands as this disease has left them badly deformed. I was initally told that it usually lasts for 3-6 months, or in worse cases upto a year. This has been going on for 10months now and doesn't seem to be getting any better, despite all the medications. Is there no end to it all. My life has changed so much over the last 10 months, there is so much i cant do anymore. My Rheumy says that test were rheumatoid negative, but because its so severe he is treating it as RA. Is the any light at the end of the tunnel. Any words of advice or comfort would be much appreciated. Thankyou.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sue, things will improve, if slowly. I'm currently enduring my 4th major episode of RA (I'm 34) and each one has passed with time. My knee has been the size of a melon for a year now and very sore but exercise, as much as is possible really is key, even if painful. I really relate to the swellings you have as my feet have been unrecognisable in the past - really huge. I am now off the drugs as the docs advise just letting the RA run it's course and die down. Missing sports is the worst part of it all but I know I'll be back to normal again in time.

Good luck with your battle with RA!

• Posted

Can anyone share an update on how their Reactive Arthritis is doing?

I developed Reactive Arthritis over a year ago and am still unable to walk.

THANK YOU to anyone willing to share!!!

• Posted

i got mine from conjunctavitis and had REa for over 2 years now i take 38 pills a day and an injection every two weeks plus an additional 10 methatrexate tablets once a week and i am still no better unless i lie on the sofa or bed i am in pain and now needing oramorph to stem the pain a bit
  • Posted

My ReA was from a cold virus just over six years ago. I have been through the same hell as everyone else taking bucket loads of drugs, sulfazaline and methotrexate didnt work for me, I took a malaria drug and steroids ( injections and tablets) as well as all of the usual prescription painkillers. I was unable to do anything in so much pain and joints swollen hugely. 95% of people get better after six months with little or nopermanent damage apparently. The unlucky few like some of us on here take much longer. I am now off most medication, just prescription painkillers some days. I have been left with some damage to my knees, major damage to both hips, which are both going to be replaced, and some minor problems in my hands. I can do most things, with limitations, walking any distance is a problem, cant get up off the floor and gardening is restricted to short bursts but on the whole things are pretty good. I could not have imagined that I would be this good six years ago. Don't give up you will get a life back, probably not quite as good as before before but pretty mobile and active and out of that dreadful all consuming pain. Would say it was three years before things started to really improve then gradual improvement since then.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.