Rifampicin and Clindamycin

Posted , 27 users are following.

I've been reading the board and haven't seen any mention of this combination of antibiotics. I'm a dermatologist and I have found this very effective in many patients with HS and similar problems. A 3 month course tends to bring about a lasting remission and then can be repeated as necessary. One or two patients have not been able to take the full course due to stomach upsets but I would say 95% of people can tolerate it very well. I've probably used it 50-60 times over 6-7 years.

I usually mention it when I give talks to GPs because I know a lot of people are not aware of it.

I am based in South Wales and if anyone would like to come and see me on the NHS feel free to ask your GP for a referral.

[color=orange:83451199ff](Sorry but Patient Admin have removed either a Consultants name, a Doctors name and or a Hospital / s name / s from this posting as it is the policy of Patient UK not to publish these on this forum.) If you wish to communicate directly with people, you should register, for free, with the forum (click Register in the menu list below the green banner above). You and other registered members will then be able to communicate with each other via Private Messaging (PM) or e-mail.) [/color:83451199ff]

[size=9:83451199ff][/size:83451199ff]

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Although this is an old thread, I am hoping someone can advise me.

My 15 year old daughter has just started the combination antibiiotic treatment and so far, so good.  Her urine is tinged with orange but she hasn't had any other symptoms yet.  

Can anyone tell me how long she needs to be on the treatment before it starts working?  She's taken them for 3 days now and today has a flare up.  Normally, she is prescribed Lymecycline if she has a flare up and it takes around 3 days for it to settle things down and for the pain to reduce.

Thank you.

• Posted

The orange color is very normal when you're taking Rifampin.

The normal course for this combination is 3 months- and that's what I did too. During the course of treatment I think I had flare up only once. I've been off it for some time now but have controlled my eating habits which has helped with the flare ups. For me- I completely cut on potatoes and bell peppers, and try to avoid dairy to the best of my ability.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.  I've been reading the posts on here and didn't know that nightshade foods could be a trigger.  My daugher has spent the past few weeks eating ratatouille (peppers, tomatoes, chilli) and has just had the worst flare up ever.  She adds chilli to almost everything so perhaps that could be a link to her condition.  We'll certainly remove those things and see if it makes a difference.  

• Posted

Hi 

I have been on these two types of antibiotics for 3 months im still getting lumps coming up, my doctor at the hospital has put me back on them for another 3 months with a wash scrub to try aswell if im still getting lumps after these next 3 months they will look inton more surgery sad 

There not as painful as they were but still uncomftable and smell bad.

• Posted

I'm 8 weeks into this combination now, and aside from the sometimes unbearable joint and kidney pains and that it made the HS WORSE for the first 7 weeks, the last week has seen some major improvement on some long term stage 3 interconnected tracts.

Will update this at the end of the 12 week course

• Posted

I am currently on both. It worked wonders for my inflammation but started waning after a bit. Shortly after I started on humira and got off of the antibiotics. Now the humira is waning so doctor but me back on antis and humira.
  • Posted

I have just been prescribed this combo in nov initially it reduced my HS which was very bad in my perenium , up till a cple weeks ago it worked very well but I've recently had a cple of flare ups with cystitis I don't know if they're connected ? However I have three months of the tablets so will definitely see how it goes some of the open channels have healed and the leakage has dried up a little for which I'm so grateful as any relief is better than none at all , I go back in March to see my dermatologist  

• Posted

I am currently on a 1% Rifampicin Advosil scar cream compound that you rub on the skin. My doctor created it. It has done wonders. The Advosil Scar ointment thins the skin and opens the pours so the Rifampicin absorbs in the school skin. In 3 months my inner thigh nodels have drained and the area is flat. Boils on my buttocks have drained and completely healed. Only dealing with the groin area which was swollen and infected. Draining more and more. I have to apply gauze and wear sanitary panties to wick away the draining fluid Plus Rifampicin leaves red stains. My doctor told me to wash these areas with acne cleanser. It enables the pours to open. In 3 months i have seen tremendous shrinkage. Its working better than anything; 7 sugeries, every oral abd topical antibiotic possible, including rafampicin and a year if Humira shots! Dealing with this for 25 years and finally have relief!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.