Rifaximin (Xifaxanta) anyone taken these?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Been given these to take 200mg twice a day. They are an antibiotic that stays in the small intestine apparently. Took one last night after tea and by the time it got to 1030pm I had to rush to the loo and spent the night in bed sweating with a bucket for comfort (altho I didn't vomit). I've not taken one yet today as I still feel sick and crampy and basically like someone's put my gut on high spin in a washer. Anyone any experience of these?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jo,

I haven't got any experience with this medication but I really hope that this won't ongoing for you.

• Posted

Thanks. Tbh, I'm not sure I dare take any more sad Aside from bad pain the last few weeks I've not been so bad. Why do meds have to make us worse?! sad
  • Posted

I wish I knew the answer Jo. Is it possible the effectas are temporary , until your body becomes used to them. and if not is it possible to take something else that will have the same benefits? Just a thought.
  • Posted

Hi Jo just a thought but could this be a bit of a stomach bug and just coincidence that you took fist tablet earlier ? From experience I have been quick to blame everything on meds when sometimes there are other reasons. Try giving yourself a day or so to feel better then try again if you have the same problem then you know definitely it's the meds. I know you probably don't want to do this in case but most doctors would need you to give it a go to be sure. Hope you get good results next time.
    • Posted

Thanks folks. I had decided to do just that. Gona let myself feel more normal again, get rid of this queasy jittery feeling and try again. For some reason there is a warning on the tablets saying they can cause C Diff. Nobody wants C Diff! I'm rubbish with antibiotics. Allergic to penicillin ethromycin and metronidazole (all anaphylaxis reactions) And most other antibiotics give me sickness and the runs, so I'm betting these are doing the same rolleyes
    • Posted

Not surprised you are wary of antibiotics ! I also always get upset stomach with them but most courses are about 7 days so it's bearable. Shame the reaction you get is the reason you have been prescribed them in the first place ! Wish you luck 😃
    • Posted

I know, not good is it lol. Thanks for the replies I will give them another go tomorrow hopefully and cross my fingers!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.