Right abdominal pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I've had right abdominal pain for 2 years now and when I first went to the docs I was diagnosed with fatty liver disease. For the first year I never really took it too seriously . I would flit from low alcohol and healthy food back to fatty food and beer on a night. In the last year though I have really made an effort to change my lifestyle and only drink with in the gov recommendations.also I have cut out junk food all together, my symptoms seen to die right down but once I have a drink , and not a big drink all the hard work is undone and I'm back to normal .throughout all this time I have had full blood works and liver function tests over and over again all coming back perfect. Am I worried bout nothing

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hey Andrew, have you ever had an ultrasound done or has the doctor ever mentioned the possibility of gall stones?
    • Posted

Yes , been ruled out . Going for another ultra sound for piece of mind next week . Worried sick but should be ok as something would have showed up in my bloods yes ?
  • Posted

A scan for something else has revealed that I have signs of fatty liver even though I eat and drink healthy.  My liver function tests are perfect.  However, I do have haemochromatosis which makes my liver a magnet (hah! - iron) for that sort of thing.

Those liver function tests (LFT) seem to be misleading.  Full blood works are also misleading because generally they do not include Iron Studies.  Check to see if your dr has done Iron Studies.  Also ask for copies of your results so that you can see for yourself.

My LFTs are always perfect too.

Fatty liver can advance to cirrhosis of the liver under certain circumstances, so you are NOT worried about nothing.  If alcohol, junk food (and sugar which converts to fat when it is not used to run marathons, etc) is making such an impact on your wellbeing, then take note of what your body is telling you.  Keep pestering your dr to keep monitoring you, and if there is something else you can do about it.

I take a liver tonic capsule - perhaps check out some of these.  I also do have up to 100mls glass of QUALITY red wine a night with my meal but because I sip it to appreciate the taste, it can last me till I go to bed, so I am not pushing total alcohol elimination.  It is actually 'medicinal' for me as it is good for the heart, and it supposedly helps reduce the uptake of iron from the meal I am ingesting.  But I could have a cup of tea, coffee (keeps me awake), cheese, yoghurt, calcium, etc. to do the same job.lol

But some people do get to the stage of total elimination because they have to.  Once you have cirrhosis of the liver, there is no going back - the damage keeps advancing.

Make sure you eat lots of green and strong coloured vegetables for anti-oxidants, and add more fibre to your diet.  Try to avoid food high in starches as that converts to sugar, which converts to fat in your liver, etc. 

Good luck!

• Posted

I was having severe attacks so to gallstones.  Had my gallbladder removal surgery yesterday and have to go for an MRI Monday because the Radiologist found a mass on my liver on the after surgery ultrasound.  Seems to believe it is some sort of tumor.. I'm so scared..  Has anyone had this problem 
  • Posted

Hi Andrew, was just wondering if you had your follow up scan and how it went? All well I hope! Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.