Right ankle triple fracture operated 5 days ago

Posted , 11 users are following.

It is only now that I have been made aware that my return to 'normality' is likely to take several months and I cannot get my head round it. I seem to be in a state of panic. Enforced inactivity and helplessness gets me down. I worry about my muscles...Any tips as to how keep some fitness going? And how to stop negative thoughts? Any suggestions will be welcome.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anna!

I was in the same boat as you. I had no idea an ankle replacement would take a year to heal. 

It's been four months and I just started walking without support and driving as well. After the initial shock wore off, I had no other choice but to look forward and not backwards. I had family support and listened to a lot of music. Ask your doctor if you can use a stationary bicycle? One thing I did encounter and couldn't stop, were the stupid remarks people made. Ignore them and consentrate on recovery. 

Good luck and wishing you a speedy recovery. 

• Posted

I am just beginning that journey with you. I am two days post op and was starting to focus on things that are three and four months away. Those thoughts were irrational because who knows what progress I will make in one month. So instead i decided to focus on now. What progress can I make today, with my condition or with my self. 

You will heal, you will walk again, you will resume your life. What’s most important now is to heal your thoughts and take things day by day. 

Peace and blessings. 

• Posted

Just remember this too shall pass and just focus on the things that you can do and try to do something different everyday to make an increased amount that you can do and avoid negative people it's okay it happens to a lot of people maybe not everybody but a lot of people go through this and you will get through it

• Posted

At this stage there is not much to do except watch box sets and be spoilt by others. In a couple of weeks when u can move your leg a bit, sit on edge of chair and do leg raises this week strengthen your quad. Once the cast comes off swim and follow exercises as much as possible. I'm nearly 8 weeks post op. I've been told I won't be back doing high intensity classes for about a year. Since having my cast off last week my moral has lifted by swimming. I know it's a long rd but I'm hoping to be back in work by the end of the month 💪🏽  

• Posted

Today is 10th day after my surgery and at the hospital check up the doctor said my xray was fine, the op went well. My back slab came.and I was put in a boot, Rebound Air Walker ( when the nurse put the sock on my injured foot the pain was very bad but did not last long)and was told it was ok for me to put weight on it. So I did and walked with it around the house. Then I took the boot off and elevated and rested my foot which was swollen but the pain was bearable. In the evening suddenly I got horrific pain . I thought that I would pass out. After 3 minutes or so the pain subsided. Does anyone have any idea why it was suddenly so intense? Did I overdo weight bearing? Is it to do with nerve damage? Or what? Also, my foot now looks more bruised than when the back slab was taken off. Any thoughts, please. I am now scared to put the boot on tomorrow and also afraid that when I sleep I might accidentally kick my unprotected foot.
    • Posted

10 days post op and you were already given the ok to put weight on your ankle? how much weight do you think you put? whats your break like and what type surgery? Usually people go at least 6 weeks non weight bearing (it was 9 weeks for me).  How much of weight bearing were you cleared to do. 10 days seems too early tbh if you had a triple fracture.  ask your doctor about it. 
  • Posted

Anna,

So sorry to hear of your trifracture.

As many of us who have preceded you in this hard lesson (ankle injuries) in life's school of hard knocks-- it seems overwhelming at first but it gets much better by and by.

Yes, it gets dreary and a real downer (groan) to be immobilized like that. You need to be especially vigilant of your thoughts and make sure they stay upbeat and hopeful. Don't unrealistically expect friends and family to understand what you are going through-- bless their hearts they have no idea.

Put your ducks in a row and do everything as perfectly as you can-- follow doctor's orders (and ask questions whenever you don't understand something-- doctor-patient miscommunication is legendary). Stay in boot as instructed, and don't try to 'freelance' a little weight bearing 'just to see what it is like'. Keep your diet nourishing and clean to give your health a boost. If you smoke or drink alcohol stop, at least for the duration-- you don't need anything holding your healing back.

You can keep yourself busy, if you have the energy, by doing leg, hip, and upper torso exercises on bed or couch-- no weight bearing required. By doing so you will avoid as much lean body mass wasting as possible.

Chin up-- you are going to be fine if you follow the rules. Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you, kpower.

Of course what yoy say is reassuring and helpful and I appreciate you writing this. In theory I know I have to concentrate on positive thoughts, in practice is less easy. The sudden transition from 'normal' and busy and very active to 'home imprisonment' with irritable family member...for whom also my fracture means a huge change. I try to think of his situation being also hard to adapt to.

Anyway, I am doing my best to think positively and have started exercises.

• Posted

You'll get used to it and of course you'll be improving and able to do more all the time. It is frustrating but if all goes well you should soon be weight bearing and everything then becomes more manageable.

• Posted

Get into physical therapy ASAP. Even at this stage there are things you can do. Wiggle your toes as much as possible, pull your foot towards you (gently pumping the calf) when able. Just a tiny bit of movement at first).  Celebrate every victory- stitches out, then boot, then partial weight bearing, then 1 crutch, then none-etc.  Don’t expect to just walk when able to put those shoes on and bear full weight. You have to regain your balance, stride, and stamina. This is where pt is key. Also OT can help get the lymphatic system draining and help the swelling. 

I’m at 12 weeks from date of injury/surgery-been full weight in shoes for a couple weeks. It’s SLOW going but I was able to walk my dog for 3 whole blocks yesterday and that’s what I’m celebrating.

Do your exercises- you’ll be glad you did.

• Posted

Thanks Tricia, messages like yours do lift my spirits. I am very much aware of moving and exercising as much as possible so from the day after my op I have been wiggling my toes, flexing thigh muscles etc. I don't use crutches but a walking frame and I am more and mire confident doing things hopping on one leg! Hosp appt on 3rd April. Enjoy the Easter weekend.

• Posted

Hi Anna, I had an awful foot op in September and have had problems with non union. I have only just begun to ditch my air boot and walk in a trainer. I have crawled and shuffled about for months and was really depressed with the non union. At Xmas (feeling like you are possibly a tad worse as I couldn't stop crying and everyone was worried about me) I discovered a lady on you tube called Caroline Jordan who has done a range of hurt foot workouts. She has saved me (I was so miserable) the workouts are brilliant and have made me feel like I am moving. Please look her up - she's wonderful. She's also messaged me on Fb . I would watch the workouts - the one to start with is the one where she's wearing a boot and a pink top - so you get the idea of the moves (you are on a chair and on the floor) and check with you doctor you are able to do. Honestly it has helped me so much as I had hip and leg pain and everything hurt from crutches. But I feel fab since doing these. In fact I do one a day !!! Good luck and if you have a go let me know what you think. Caroline Jordan hurt foot workouts. 

Claire xx

• Posted

Hi Anna for me it's day 67 after a bimolleur fracture on my right ankle. I'm hoping you have a good support system that can help you stay adjusted. On day 60 the doctor told me I could be full weight bearing after having been in a boot since 2/13. I honestly believed that I would just get up and walk. Ha ha joke on me. It took me a whole week to follow the exercises I came home with and with lots of struggle was able to get up three steps to my main floor. Go to therapist this week. Just keep your wits about you and be mindful that this is a series of ups and downs through every stage of recovery. Be blessed 😉

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.