Right ear deaf,hearing long starts on left - no diagnosis

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello,I am a 39 year old mom of 2 small kids. My whole life my hearing was perfect,but that changed in april 2023. I had the flue and I have realised my hearing in right ear was not good. I did not have any pain , no diziness,no discharge, no tinitus. The only thing was I could not hear properly what my kids were saying.I went to ENT doctor and they had to do a paracentesis.Right after,everything was ok, I could hear perfect, no complications.

In august 2023 the feeling that I can not hear properly on the same ear was back. I was not sick,it occured on the vacation by the sea. I thought maybe some water got into my ear and went to Ent doctor again. Again no pain,no vertigo, no tinitus, only reduced hearing. She told me there is no inflammation, everything looks fine and gave me antihistaminic tablets Aerius and corticosteroid Mometasone nose spray. It did not help, hearing got worse so I got corticosteroid Prednison. That did not help either. Every month I went to audiometry,the results got only worse. The doctor said it could be otosclerosis and run a HRCT for the right ear and it was ok, my ear was completely normal.They tried a MRI of my head and brain and also everything ok too. In january 2024 the last audiometry result was that I am deaf on the right ear. Hear loss 99.9%.

Two weaks ago I went to the Ent again, because my hearing in the left ear got worse. I was not ill,again no pain,no vertigo,no tinitus,nothing... Throat and nose swabs negative. So again antihistamin Aerius and corticosteroids Prednison,till now without effect...Next week I should start a hyperbaric chamber therapy.

I am perfectly healthy, do not have any diseases,i did not have any ear problems till now,i do not work in loud enviroment. I did not have any serious illnesses till now... Nobody in my extended family has ear problems.

The doctors say maybe some virus or hidden autoiimunne disease caused this but do not know what to do with me. My only symptom is that I lost my hearing in 5 months in the right ear and now it starts in the left one. No pain,no vertigo,no diziness,no tinitus.

I am desperate for any help as I am becoming afraid that I will be completely deaf...

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.