Right Ear Hearing Loss With Crackling Popping Sounds

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All

A couple of days ago my right ear started to get a sensation of feeling full, then a bit later that same day my hearing went all muffled in that the same ear. Since then the feeling of fullness has got worse, and my lack of being able to hear has got worse. Every now and again I hear and feel crackling / popping sensations in that ear, and if I press on the skin where my ear canal is I get a horrid squelching sound. It doesn't hurt at all under normal circumstances, but after a while of eating I can get a mild sharp pain with each jaw movement. I feel fine otherwise, not experiencing any other unusual symptoms, and my left ear is totally fine.

Does anyone have any ideas what this is and what could be causing it, and if you know of any methods that might help clear it. I'm reluctant to use over the counter ear cleaning remedies as they aren't supposed to be used if the ear drum is damaged and I'd rather not take the risk. I also had that ear syringed not that long ago so it surely can't be wax build up in such a short space of time, however I could be wrong.

Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Could be fluid behind the ear drum. When I had this doctor told me to chew gum and it worked. If you google "can you get water behind the ear drum" you will see an explanation. Good luck.

• Posted

I would get it checked out. it could be an ear infection - it could be due to a cold blocking your eustachian tube. or it could be wax. the last time I had something like that my GP recommended sudafed that you can only get from pharmacy- it worked for me - was kind of essential as I had the problem in my good ear - and my bad ear is bad!!!! I had very similar symptoms as yourself - but I would strongly recommend getting someone to check you over! let me know how you get on.

• Posted

Hi, I have been suffering with a chest infection, hacking cough, throat sore and tonsillitis. Had a dose of Antibiotics from GP, got rid of cough, but was left with crackling ,muffled loss of hearing in right ear. Had Hearing Test today, saw blood in my eardrum,but I have not had earache!

This may be caused by the infection! See GP!

• Posted

Thank you all for your comments.

I saw my doctor yesterday, and he said it looks like wax build up, he also said the wax looks as if it has dried out considerably leaving it to have a rubbery consistency. Due to the build up he was unable to see my inner ear clearly, so advised me to use warm olive oil to try and clear some of the wax, and then make a follow up appointment to have the ear re-checked. He reluctant to offer syringing again as they had already done that a while ago and don't like to do it too frequently in the same ear. I have already used olive oil a couple of times now and have managed to clear quite a bit of wax. After the second application a lot of wax came out and there was a brief moment when my hearing came back in that ear, but it went muffled again not long after. I'll keep going with the olive oil again, and see my doctor again in a few days, whether it clears or not. I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks again for all your advice, I do appreciate it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.