Right Foot Numbness/Pins & Needles & Calf Twitching

Posted , 2 users are following.

Late 2011 I had severe back pain as well as right foot numbness. I remember being diagnosed with a herniated disk (don't remember which one) that affected the sciatic nerve. I was given a round of Prednisone and it cleared up almost immediately. Been pretty good through the years with no real serious return.

Lately, my right foot periodically goes numb again with pins and needles mixed in. I do not have back pain. I've noticed my right calf twitching which scares the heck out of me. Is that a common symptom of sciatica for people here? I've done the Web MD Symptom Checker and it appears that way but wanted to run it by others with same issue. Thanks.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I have severe left sciatic damage from my sciatic nerve having adhesive scaring. I've had two open hip surgeries to release the scaring. Twitching muscles if unfortunately a common symptom of nerve compression/impingement from a bulging, herniated disc. So is numbness, pins and needles, itchiness, foot drop development (inability to flex your foot up to walk which can develop into permanent inability to use the foot) - most people with this need a splint. People can have colour change such as mottling and swelling. (I have recently developed massive swelling of my hip, buttock, lower back, belly and thigh. Scares the cr*p out of me. I have pain in my buttock ALL the time. I've started getting temperatures so I'm very nervous. File size is too big

I have what's called engorgement now and suffer dystonia of my leg and foot. Failure to treat me has caused the dystonia to travel to my brain which causes seizure like episodes.

Which country are you in? Can you request an MRI to assess the extent of the problem. The more feeling you lose, the more the nerve root is being squashed in your spine.

Steroid injections can be a good treatment to shrink the disc and inflammation of the nerve. I used to be a nurse for spinal surgeries on the ward and ICU. Ask me anything you want and I'll try to help. I'm from Sydney, Australia

Melissa B

• Posted

Thank you for taking the time. The calf twitching is what alarms me the most as it could be a sign of ALS. Still have normal strength and no muscle wasting, though, so that puts my mind at ease a bit on that front.

Follow-up for you or anyone - can sciatica affect the arm on same side of body? Thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.