Right Knee TKR 6 mos post op - continuous extreme swelling

Posted , 4 users are following.

Had my right knee replaced 10/16 - recovering normally.  In 11/16 i was doing yardwork when i experienced great pain and swelling.  I called my dr he said, ice, elevate.  I couldn't do anything to alleviate the pain.  I ended up going to the ER and was diagnosed with a bakers cyst.  For 10 weeks following that my knee would have "epidsodes"  i'd feel a pain across the top of the knee and it would be hard to bend - this happened 1,2,3,4 times a week.  Went back to dr, said just part of the healing, hang in there, etc.  After 12 weeks i went back to Dr and demanded an MRI and a bloodtest to rule out infection.  Blood work came back negative.  MRI showed tendonitis in the pateller and the quad and a bakers cyst.  Basically go back to PT.  SO i went to a new PT.  For 6 weeks no episodes - great!  A month ago today i was putting something in the oven and i felt something.  Knee has been swelling up and has everyday sometimes 2-3 times.  I ice, I use a portable tens unit but it is non-stop.  Sometimes it is so bad I can't bend it.  I even went to another dr and he is at a loss.  Suggested a Bonescan but also said to "hang in there" till the one year mark cuz the Bonescan may show warm on a 6 month old knee.  Basically told me to go back to my original dr - I'm at a loss - i've been to the dr 3 times in the past 3 weeks.  Help!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

So sorry you are in pain so much of the time with no real answers, just wondering if your DR.told  you before the tkr that it would probably be up to a year before pain and stiffness would go away. My dr.   nor anyone told me it could take that long.

i am 11 weeks po and have pain and stiffness all the time,the pain is nothing compared to what it was in the beginning but the stiffness is bad. I do my exercises without fail and the bend gives me trouble daily but I continue to work on it..

• Posted

Ya I know up to a year. But I've gone from walking to using a cane for 10 weeks, to getting better again to now having to use a walker for last month This is also my 2nd knee replacent. My left one was done in 2015 and I didn't have these issues. So to me. I know this isn't I Nirmal. But thx for responding!

• Posted

Good luck on finding the problem and getting it fixed.   This kind of a roller coaster ride is no fun!
    • Posted

Hi bak , I'm 10 weeks & am exactly how you've explained. Sorry you're having trouble too but l was consoled it's not just me. It doesn't feel as bad one day but the next is awful.knee is stiff & hurts still keeps me awake most nights. It's got to get getter soon surely after all the exercises & care we take ,

• Posted

Eileen, Were you told before you had your TKR that it would be this long and painful? I was told nothing like what we are experiencing!
    • Posted

No bak I didn't have any idea it would be this painful & take this long ., but I have found a brilliant forum on iPad which explains everything & tells  you week by week what is best to do. Definitely worth  a look. It's :- Bonesmart joint replacement forum . At least you can see why & understand what it's all about x 

• Posted

Hey all - I'm headed back to my doctor today to see if there is anything that can be done to alleviate the daily swelling (up to 3x/day).  I've been on the walker for a month now - they say they may aspirate it to test the fluid then share other options.  Please send out good thoughts and prayers for some sort of solution.  Thanks!!

• Posted

Hi did you ever find out what was wrong with your knee.  I am having the same problem.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.