Right lower abdominal better when laying down - child

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have a 8 year old. She woke up yesterday with lower abdominal pain. Could not localize very well but seemed close to hip bone. The pain increased during the day but was spasmodic. It felt better when sitting down or laying. Wnet to ER, did all the tests and echo, could not see anything. The suggestion was to feed her with Tylenol. Gut feeling is that it is insane to give her pain pills when the reason is not clear. The pain is still at fluctuating  4-9 on the scale of 10. She lost her apetite. Did not have bowl movement because it hurts a lot whe she tries/ Any suggestion or advice???

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dalia

I agree not  a good idea to give one so young Tylenol or even a grown up when the reason isnt clear, its just masking the cause and is indeed insane. Id take her back to your doctors, Could be a food alergy causing this. Its not her appendix playing up is it?

Hope you get to the bottom of this

Sue 

• Posted

Hi Dalia

You dont say which side the pain is ? my first thought was a rumbling appendicitis ! obviously im not a doctor , but i can remember myself at 14 having similar pain , plus feeling nausious and being sick 

it could be constipation or even an infection , but i would go back to the doctors or if it worsens to a greater degree back to A&E , hope she feels better soon 

• Posted

Thank you. It is right side and she pints to the lowest point if her abdominal area. Pain cones and goes but peaks are unbearable. I will probably rush to ER if she keeps struggling today. Docs filled out appendix since the blood work and echo did not show any signs of infection
  • Posted

Hi Dalia 

How is your daughter ? i hope she is doing better than earlier x

• Posted

Thank you so much for asking. She seems to be back to normal and I am worried that we still have no idea what caused that pain. I hope it never comes back. Thanks for all your comments!!!
    • Posted

I have the same pain on my right side that you have described.  Have had 3 CT scans all neg.  my pain comes and goes. When I need to have a bowel movement or I haven't gone for a day or so. That's when this pain shows up. My GI says its part of IBS. That if I keep my system regular it will heal up and stop hurting. I have to watch my diet very close!!!  Good luck with your daughter, sorry to hear someone so young is having this kind of pain. I have found if I lay on my left side with pillow between knees it does help. Your stomach emptys on the left side and that will help.  I also try a warm heating pad when the pains bad. As far as pain meds for her be careful. They can cause constipation. 
    • Posted

Hi Cynthia, thank you. It was so distrubing to see her struggle and not being able to tell the reason or help. Apparently, she also excreets lots of protein and there is blood (not the first time) in her urine. This might be a sad story for kidneys. I am still sick and worried but I hope we can find ways to help her. Thanks again!
    • Posted

I would start looking into whatever can be done to strengthen kidney's as well as prevent kidney stones.  Apple Cider Vinegar is one rememdy I've heard good things about, as well as fresh lemon juice and olive oil even better.  However do not take my word on it...google it and start gathering info.  Also water should be your daughters best friend wink - though I know it's hard even for some adults to drink water, let alone an 8 yr old.  Have her pick out her own water bottle that's 'cool' and have a goal of finishing 2 of them a day etc...something like that.  I realize this is speculation that it could be stones or the beginning of stones...but a little prevention can't hurt.  Best to you both!
    • Posted

thank you. She is pretty good about drinking water. I am more concerned this may be something more serious than a stone, since she also has protein in urine. Docs are sending us for more tests which means more tests eventually. At least she is not in pain now.
  • Posted

Glad to hear she is feeling better x A worry that that theres blood in her urine , are the doctors keeping an eye on that ? such a worry kids even when they are well !! xx
    • Posted

Yes, my worry too. We are going for more tests. She is overall such a healthy kid, but always tends to scare us with mysterious outbreaks like this...
  • Posted

I apologize for not reading all the responses where appendix issues were discussed.  Sorry for that!

Frankie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.