Right neck pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi guys I need some advise... I suffer with health anxiety and last night before bed I noticed a sore... muscle I believe... in my neck. I went to sleep hoping it was gonna be gone by morning. But it’s not and it’s actually worse. It’s hard to explain where it’s located but it’s on the right side and is giving me some shoulder pain... also on the right side. I looked it up... and all I’m finding is heart attack symptoms or tumors or infection.... could this be just anxiety?? Please help!!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I should add... moving makes it hurt worse!
  • Posted

Hi christina69014,

Neck pain is extremely common, 2 out of 3 people develop a bout of it at least once in their lives. So firstly don't panic. I note you said you have health anxieties which is something you would rather not have I am sure. You also said you when you first noticed this pain , it was a soreness " ?muscle, and now that has spread to your shoulder. If it involved infection this is unlikely to start IN a muscle (unless the muscle was operated on or serious infection was already evident (i.e. you would be noticeably very ill, have fever or very low temperature) and spread from adjacent areas. Likewise if it had been from your heart that would most likely be the start of the pain in a normally healthy individual. Ask yourself some questions that might identify the cause. Had you been doing some exercise/gardening/housework etc that might have caused the sore muscle ? Has your posture affected this i.e. long hours of computer work often causes this. Even stress may cause neck pain if the person has been very tense. Adjacent muscles can be affected in a type of chain reaction sometimes. Have you tried anything to help with the pain, e.g. Paracetamol, Ibuprofen (Oral or gel available from pharmacy/supermarket), Ice pack or, my favourite, warm pack, warm shower or soak in a warm bath? Gentle exercises for muscle pain in the neck ,gently moving your neck in its range of movement but ony as far as is comfortable. You may need to consider seeking further advice or treatment from your local pharmacist or practice or minor illness nurse at the surgery. If the pain is worsening or not improving you should seek advice. Your GP surgery may also have an advanced physiotherpist working within the practice and you might be able to make an appointment directly to see him/her. If these other trained Allied Health Professionals I have mentioned feel you need further assessment/referral they will advice you to see your GP. I hope this is helpful and Hope you get better soon. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.