Right pain in middle of back after gallbladder removal?

Posted , 6 users are following.

before I had my gallbladder out I had a constant ache sometimes pain on my right side back in the middle where the gallbladder is. I had my Gallbladder taken out 6 days ago and for the first few days Affer that back pain wasn't there anymore but it started again on Sunday and last night it really hurt and went through to the front. It aches when I'm moving about and resting.

Has anyone else had this? I assume it's just because the insides are still healing? Maybe I did too much yesterday, I did feel really tired and nauseous In the evening as well.

I know it's still early days so expect things to still be settling down just wondered if anyone else has had it.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hello!

I've just had my gallbladder taken out yesterday and have the same pain. I think it is just from the gas that they pump into you during the op. I've found that a hot water bottle on my back and a kind soul to gently rub your back helps as it shifts the air around and makes you feel more comfortable. Peppermint tea is amazing as well as it makes you burp which releases gas as well! ( sorry to be graphic!) feel better soon.

• Posted

Thankyou, yes I had peppermint tea the first couple of days which helped. I will try a hot water bottle tonight. Thanks.xx
  • Posted

Hi Lucy

It seems to take a while to settle down after surgery.

My daughter is actually back in hospital as the pains have been so bad she needed morphine but the have said the body will settle eventually.

Not great news but hopefully it will happen sooner than later she is 3 weeks post op nearly.

• Posted

Carol, so sorry to learn this! I had hoped she was doing better! Please keep in touch!  xx
    • Posted

Hi Lynda,

Sadly no, she has a build up of fluid where the gallbladder was and is on more antibiotics, they said this will be contributing to the pain, but she is also wanting an MRI done as another lady came in with exact the same symptoms, pain everything as her and that was proven to be stones by the bile duct but it only showed on the MRI , nothing else picked it up. 

IV mailed her surgeon as she goes back to him Thursday and told him what she is going to ask for , but I think it's a fair request as she is really suffering now and just can't see a way out of this.

thank you for caring it's a horrible place to be at the moment & seeing her in that amount of pain is terrible.

xx

• Posted

I think it a fair request as well.  I hope that he agrees. Even if more surgery is needed, and I hope it isn't, it makes sense to get as much information as possible!  

It seems with all the advanced imaging available today, that sometimes things are missed.  

I hope that both of you can get answers so that she can start healing.  You must be beside yourself with worry!  

(((BIG HUG)))

• Posted

Oh no, hope her body settles down soon, poor thing, not very nice for her.xx
    • Posted

Yes really worried about her state of mind now as it's just too much for her to cope with, she is incredibly low.

Thank you x

• Posted

I can understand why that has happened.  Unfortunately, sometimes the very young must learn that life can be difficult, but if somehow she is able to keep up her courage and detemination she will emerge from this a strong, vital woman!  

Try to keep up your courage as well.  This has been a very long harsh ordeal for both of you.  

• Posted

Hi, Lucy,

I think you may have done too much. You have had major surgery, though the incisions are small.  The outside stitches will take 6 to 8 weeks to heal, but your inside stitches can take 6 months or more.  

So, no heavy cleaning or lifting!  Your body needs time to heal itself  and adjust now.  Please try to give it that time.  Later on, you'll be better for it!  

Take care! xx

• Posted

Thankyou, you are right, I did do too much, I haven't been too bad today, just a bit niggly, rested all day today then went out to pick my boys up tonight and went to the shop and ouch now it hurts again so from now on will be more careful, I keep thinking it feels a lot better because the outside isn't as sore now but keep forgetting about the inside!

• Posted

Well, do take care...you want to heal as well as you possibly can! xx
    • Posted

Yes I will do,Thankyou. I find it hard not doing things because I'm normally so busy but i need to make sure it heals okay and that I get myself ready to go back to work.xx

• Posted

How did things turn out with the back pain? I'm experiencing the same thing.

• Posted

Hi I am also experiencing this back pain daily, 4 months after surgery.  Now being treated for muscular pain but don't think it's that. Pain sometimes stitch like in right side but always in mid back on right hand side. Fed up now 😩

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.