Right Side Atrophy/visits @ Mayo Clinic, New York Hospital for Special Surgeries, Cleveland Clinic

Posted , 2 users are following.

After reading all the posts, I feel like I've found a new family who "get" what I am fearing. In addition to the atrohy, all the joints on my right side are having problems and are compromised (tear in the shoulder, hip now locking up if I sit a long time, tear in my right meniscus). I've had 3 EMGs, several MRIs, and extensive blood work performed at the finest medical facilities. There is a spot on my spinal cord, but just one. They say if I had several, it would indicate MS. The damage to the spinal cord was not there in 2014 but showed up in 2017 in different MRI. I am a female of 60 years, and have always exercised regularly and enjoyed the outdoors. I have herniated C 4, 5 in my neck, which fused itself without surgery. The pain began in my arm, right above my elbow, then into my wrist. At first, I thought it was carpal tunnel. I've been trying to find answers for the past 4 years. Even my ears are no longer even.

A few warnings: I agreed to a MRI with contrast at Mayo and developed a severe headache the next morning before getting off the elevator at the hotel the following day. For six weeks, I had headaches, could not process my thoughts well, etc. I believe the culprit, for me, was gadolinium, the contrast agent. Be careful if you agree to an injection for imaging purposes and do your research first. My symptoms were similar to a CSF leak.

My last visit to Cleveland Clinic revealed some potential blood/oxygen flow questions. A tilt table test to rule out POTS was inconclusive, so they are asking me to come back for another test.I find the links others have brought up about having stints put in and CSF problems interesting.

With regard to symptom relief, I've been too busy to get to my water aerobics class, but find that water exercise is one of my best options. I've also started laying on some styro wedges (think looseleaf notebook). My chiro used wedges years ago, so I knew they could be helpful. By laying on the inclined wedge so that the higher side is under my shoulder and lower side near my spine, or by placing it under my hip for 5-45 minutes, it gives a gentle but solid stretch that offers some relief.

Please keep writing. I hope this is helpful.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I really appreciate your efforts too be healed, stay focused, continue to leave no stone unturned. We are all in my Prayers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.