Right Side Discomfort - Is this normal

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hiya, please can anyone help me?

Im 7weeks post op, after having gallbladder removed.

I was healing well then got a severe bladder infection and had to take antibiotics. Since then I have been having discomfort around my right incisions and across my stomach. The sensation can be described as aches and feels like a stitch.

I have been doing stretches which helps a little, and helps when I sit down.

So, can anyone tell me what I should do. Should I contact my surgeon?

Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello. I too have had my gallbladder removed, and about 4 months later I experienced the pain in my right side right at the waist, radiating to the front and to the back. Feels much like a gallbladder attack. I could barely breathe without it feeling like a knife stabbing me.

I'll keep this simple:

--After your gallbladder is removed, your liver takes on a big load and needs to be watched and cared for very seriously. Even do liver cleanses 4 times a year. Research this on your own. Great information available. Your liver produces the bile that used to be stored in your gallbladder.

--I've read many blogs where people have had this pain examined through all sorts of tests, such as MRI, CT scans, blood work, HIDA scans, etc. As far as I can tell, no one can tell where the pain comes from.

--I research everything, and when I started having the side pain about 10 days ago, I jumped into a deep research about this. There has been some speculation that maybe there was a slight nerve damage during the removal surgery. Who knows.

--Through trial and error I am discovering that if I eat a fatty meal or eat food difficult to digest, I have this side pain. I feel bloated too.

--To help remedy the pain and bloating, I take an oxbile supplement (look on Amazon for Oxbile and read the product description and the reviews). I also take digestive enzymes (not to be confused with probiotics), and Gas-X. Great help.

--I also do some stretches and crunches, and other calisthenic exercises. These help enormously.

The bottom line is this... Your diet he's to change.

• Posted

Hello. I too have had my gallbladder removed, and about 4 months later I experienced the pain in my right side right at the waist, radiating to the front and to the back. Feels much like a gallbladder attack. I could barely breathe without it feeling like a knife stabbing me.

I'll keep this simple:

--After your gallbladder is removed, your liver takes on a big load and needs to be watched and cared for very seriously. Even do liver cleanses 4 times a year. Research this on your own. Great information available. Your liver produces the bile that used to be stored in your gallbladder.

--I've read many blogs where people have had this pain examined through all sorts of tests, such as MRI, CT scans, blood work, HIDA scans, etc. As far as I can tell, no one can tell where the pain comes from.

--I research everything, and when I started having the side pain about 10 days ago, I jumped into a deep research about this. There has been some speculation that maybe there was a slight nerve damage during the removal surgery. Who knows.

--Through trial and error I am discovering that if I eat a fatty meal or eat food difficult to digest, I have this side pain. I feel bloated too.

--To help remedy the pain and bloating, I take an oxbile supplement (look on Amazon for Oxbile and read the product description and the reviews). I also take digestive enzymes (not to be confused with probiotics), and Gas-X. Great help.

--I also do some stretches and crunches, and other calisthenic exercises. These help enormously.

The bottom line is this... Your diet has to change, and you will need to exercise a bit every day. Simple exercises that work the parts of your body that hurt. Clear this with your doctor. Only 15 minutes of workout makes a massive difference for me. You CANNOT eat like you did before your gallbladder was removed.

Take the time to find out what kinds of foods you should eat without a gallbladder. Research Oxbile and Digestive Enzymes. Check out information on your liver and pancreas after GB removal. I've had much relief by eating better, and a bit of exercise, even during the pain. It goes away for me.

Good luck.

• Posted

Biliary dyskinesia - finally got a diagnosis after 3 1/2 years and many doctors.  Had to go into Philly (Jefferson) to find a dr. who had a clue.  This was after I needlessly had my gall bladder removed.  I have medication that helps and was told to eat small meals so that my liver is not overwhelmed with too much calories/fat at one time.  When I deviate, I have pain. If I behave it's manageable. Hope this helps
    • Posted

believe, not behave!  (darn spellcheck...)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.