Right side pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

Childhood and many years of constipation. followed by years of IBS. Diagnosed with diverticular disease a few years ago. Last year had first flare up and then a second. These happened in lower right side.  Further tests revealed a benign tumour on right ovary so had full hysterectomy and hoped for the best. Sadly just had to take metronidazole for an infection. Made me feel awful. However I did then have a couple of days without right side pain which made me realise that it is always there. I have taken friendly bacteria (vsl3) off and on for last few years. These have helped but was taking regularly when infection occurred. 

I cannot take buscopan or mebervine as they stop me from having a wee. High fibre is a disaster. I try to stay away from summer fruits, seeds, nuts and whole foods as they also trigger symptoms. 

Very fed up. Any suggestions you lovely people?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

My pain is in the lower left side. I take mabevarine before meals and fybergel plus a probiotic. I am hoping they keep the flares at bay. Like you I don't eat nuts seeds skins also not much red meat no fizzy pop 

• Posted

My pain has always started on my lower left side which from the catscan has the most diverticuli, there are also several near my pancrease  and a few scattered through out. When several are infected pushing to the left of my belly button causes terrible pain every where. It was interesting to read the hospital report as to where the diverticulities 
  • Posted

Forgot to mention the awful sweating especially in the evening and some overnight 
  • Posted

I completely understand. I basically had all of your problems as a child. Always constipated and followed as an adult.

I started having discomfort years ago but approximately 10 years started with flare ups. Seems now to be twice a year. Antibiotics orally first.  Hospitalized in February and on IV antibiotics.  It took months for me to feel well again.  

I watch seeds, skins, nuts and raw veggies.  I rarely eat meat but when I do it's ground beef and only filet which is not often.  Tough meats are hard to digest.

I take Metamucil on occasion and  found that to be helpful but not perfect. I take Miralax and that really helps and most recently I am eating 4 warmed prunes a day to help with constipation which has helped too.

Too much fiber causes pain so I do watch but unfortunately not enough fiber constipates!!! It's a balancing act.

Good luck and god bless.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.