Right side pain, burning, burping and reflux - gallbladder?

Posted , 24 users are following.

Hi all,

I’m looking for any thoughts/ advice on some stomach issues I’ve been having recently as I’m wondering if it could be a gallbladder issue. I’m female, 29, on the pill, normal weight with a healthy diet.

Four months ago, seemingly out of the blue, I developed a range of symptoms which have been making me feel really rubbish. I’ve been keeping a food diary but can’t see much of a pattern. The only things I know for sure have made me feel particularly bad were chocolate and a cooked English breakfast. Bread also seems a bit dodgy.

Symptoms

-       Pain under my right ribs. The pain comes and goes. Normally it’s a dull ache or a burning sensation. Occasionally I get sharp pains there too. Generally I would describe the pain as mild to moderate – nothing agonising. The bottom of my right ribs feel bruised when touched and sometimes the pain goes through to my back

-       Heartburn, mainly on the right side of my chest but sometimes all over. Sometimes the burning feeling can feel slightly itchy as well.

-       A sensation of vapour coming up from my stomach

-       Lots of gas and burping. My tummy has been making lots of gurgling noises – much more than usual

-       Bitter taste in mouth and sometimes a very dry throat

-       Feeling tired

-       Occasionally - feeling sick after eating. I’ve never actually been sick though.

-       Occasionally - sore burning throat and lump in throat sensation

The symptoms do vary – I seem to have flare ups where I feel particularly awful and once it’s been set off I seem to feel bad for a few days. There haven’t been any days when I’ve felt completely right since the whole thing started though.

Treatment/ tests to date

-       40mg Esomeprazole. This helps the heartburn a bit I think but the other symptoms do not improve

-       Ultrasound – normal.

-       Blood tests – full blood count and other tests all came back normal

-       Endoscopy – came back normal with no sign of acid reflux

-       Manometry and 24 hour pH monitoring – I haven’t had my consultation to discuss the results in full yet but apparently ‘there is evidence to suggest my oesophagus doesn’t contract normally.’

My next consultation isn’t until October and I’m starting to feel a bit desperate as I’m fed up feeling so horrible.

Do you think this could be a gallbladder issue despite the clear ultrasound? The fact that I have the esophagus problem could explain the vapour sensation I've been getting, but I don't see how it could be causing the right side pain.

Grateful for any advice!

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

seems like a non working or low ejection fraction gall bladder issue . did you had your hida scan ?
    • Posted

At my last appointment I asked my consultant if they could do a hida scan but he seemed convinced it's not a gallbladder issue. I did have a second ultrasound to double check for gallstones, but nothing there. Tempted to get a hida done privately just so I can rule it out.

• Posted

I had similar symptoms as you mentioned, But I also got gastritis. But your symptoms definitely looks like low function gallbladder. Best to go for hida scan.
    • Posted

for me i had issues for years mainly acid reflux  and bloated stomach and burping.I did endoscopy ,colonoscopy and ultrasound nothing showed .. then moved to usa , had the issue again  the very first thing they ordered is the Hida scan .. it showed my gallbladder was not working....i did not believe or had much hope on Hida scan .. so i did not remove my gall bladder.... but after 5 years i formed gallstones .. so it seems Hida scan was right. You can see i have wasted almost 10 + years to come to conclusion . Time is precious. get it done quickly.
  • Posted

Hi Luci, looking for answers and just came across your post. I could’ve wrote it myself my symptoms are identical. Had an ultrasound which came back normal waiting for blood results. I wondered if you had a diagnosis yet and do you still have symptoms!!
  • Posted

Hey, did you ever figure out what was wrong? I sort of have the same thing, and same results normal. However what I wanted to add what my dr told me. Because my pain would come in periods (1 month it's hurting then stops for 2 months, then flares up again for 2 months...etc) she basically said do not go for ultrasound while I'm on my "off" period, she said to ask her to refer me again when it starts hurting again. 

As regarding to the pain that goes into your back, is it a sharp / stabbing / tearing pain that goes through your right shoulder, sort of from front to back? That's one of the less mentioned gallbladder problems symptoms. 

Please let me know how you got on, as it's driving me nuts. 

• Posted

Hi luci96838!  Did you ever get a resolution to your problem?  I have a right bruised feeling as well but all my tests have been negative thus far for gallbladder, except for one Hida scan I had three years ago showing 14% EF.  The two I have had since then showed normal EF.  Ugh
  • Posted

Hi,

For the past 6-8 months I experienced pain in the middle right side of my back between my ribs. Other symptoms included constant gas and burping mostly when I woke up in the morning, and frequent urination and bowel movements. After seeing several doctors who weren't able to pinpoint a problem, I switched to a new primary care doctor who sent me for an ultrasound, blood testing, stool test, and urin test. He found evidence of an infection in my gallbladder which he thinks may be the cause of the pain. Today, he prescribed antibiotics as a treatment and I'm praying it will work. I've been in so much pain, I haven't been myself over the past several months. It's been very demoralizing waking up and struggling through each day with this kind of pain in back/ribs. If anyone similar pain between ribs, ask you doctor to check for infection in your gallbladder. I finally have hope to get the pain removed from my body. Good luck everyone with your healing process!   

• Posted

Unfortunately after finishing antibiotics for gallbladder infection, if didn’t completely eliminate the pain. It helped a bit but the pain in my ribs on right side is still there. I’m now seeing a Gastrointerologist and scheduled to take more tests including an MRI of my intestines and also a colonoscopy.  Not sure what is causing the pain but it’s still there and is provibg difficult to pinpoint
  • Posted

It sounds like gallbladder issues, I have months where I'm fine and not symptoms at all and then I will get a dull ache or a burning sensation which drives me insane, I go to the doctors and they give me buscopan which does nothing at all only helps with IBS really. It's a vicious circle as they always say that the symptoms sound nothing related to gallstone but when u ask other people they will tell you very different. The doctors give me two courses of anti biotics once and it did nothing I had the sensation for a week and a half then it went it's come back doctors give me more tablets but they are upsetting my stomach 🤣 a and e and useless. They will say to go home take tramadol which will space you out so much u Feel like a zombie. I live on beans toast. Scribbled egg with no added butter and jelly but what I find is after a while as soon as the gall bladder gets irritated no matter what you eat makes it worst it's a hottie condition and people will never understand until they suffer it's a life changer big time tbh 😀 u may have IBS with it you can get buscopan over counter for that they do help in general. Once you are under a consultant none is interested in you you get told in my case to wait your turn I have known people who have waited 5 years and who are still not better 🤣

• Posted

Thanks for your reply rachie38. I still have this pain in my right side. It feels like it’s between my ribs and right side of back. It feels like a sharp or dull pinching feeling. I also often feel dizzy/nautious  (like being sea sick), and I’ve noticed recently when I lay down or stretch my body a certain way, my stomach pulsates as if bloorbor airflow is being blocked:restricted from freely  flowing through the right side of my side/torso area and back where the pain is located. Other sysptoms include excessive gas belching when I wake up, excessive having to use the bathroom. I get fatigued a lot and have been very depressed feeling sick for over a year without doctors being able to pinpoint what’s wrong. I recently took an ultrasound, mri, and various blood, urin, and stool samples. The only thing doctors found was my stool test shows backteria (I believe ecoli) infecting my gallbladder, for which I’ve been given two rounds of antibiotics (doxycycline) which have not worked - the medicine only made me natious. I’m now scheduled for a colonoscopy next week. Not sure if this Procedure will help identify the problem, but at this point I’m seeing a gastroenterologist and trying to do whatever Possible to find and cure the problem. I’ve been very depressed and even had to take a leave of absence from school because I’ve been too fatigued with the pain to handle working a full time job while going to school. For anyone experiencing similar pain l, you’re not alone and I wish you the best with your healing process.
    • Posted

No, i havent done a hida scan yet. Ive just been following the recommendations of my primary care doctor and more recently a gastroenterologist. Im scheduled for a colonoscopy tomorrow. Later in the week i havr an appointment to sit down with my gastroenterologist to discuss all of the tests ive taken (mri, bloodwork, stool samples, colonoscopy). I plan to ask if a hida scan could also be done. At this point, im trying to throw everything at it yo see if something sticks. Im just really suprized doctors have not been able to find out whats wrong wigh me despite the pain and symtoms ive been experiencing for so long.
    • Posted

I have these issues as well. Have you found anything to help?

• Posted

Hi Tammy,

Unfortunately no I haven’t found a solution yet. I’m still experiencing pain. Last week, I went had a colonoscopy and endoscopy done, which I haven’t met with my doctor yet to go over the results. I do know the surgeon removed one pollop (I think from my intestines) and he noted I had Mild gas in my stomach. I disagree that the gas I have is mild - I would describe it as being extreme as I constantly burping and having to pass gas when I wake up in the morning. I still feel pain in my right side and I suspect I may have a problem with my gallbladder. I have an appointment with my gastroenterologist next week to go over the results of all of the tests I’ve taken in as well as the colonoscopy. I plan to ask for a Hida Scan to check the gallbladder and at this point I’d even be ok getting my gallbladder removed if it will bring relief to the pain I’ve been experiencing. It’s been frustrating the fact that doctors haven’t been able to pin point my problem yet. I have a feeling is gallbladder. I’m ready to get my gallbladder removed if it will Make the pain and symptoms I’m experiencing go away. Not sure if it’s gallbladder, but based on some research I’ve done and other people I’ve spoken to who have similar symptoms, it looks like a gallbladder problem. Not to mention I’ve been getting gallbladder infections for which my primary care doctor has given me two doses of antibiotics that didn’t work. 

• Posted

Hi Tony,

My symptoms are very similar to yours.   The one difference is that I don't have a gallbladder.  It was removed years ago.  I am scheduled for a colonoscopy and endoscopy next week.  Please keep my posted on your results and I will do the same.  The gastroenterologist seems to have no clue as to what this could be.  Just need some answers!!

• Posted

Tammy, yes I will keep you posted and please keep me posted too with any progress on your end. Now I’m worried since you’re having similar symptoms and you don’t have a gallbladder, maybe my issue is not gallbladder related after all. I wish I knew what was causing this. Perhaps some food Im eating and need to remove from my diet, maybe stress related. I feel like I’m having to steer my doctors in one direction or another. It’s as if they’re only helpful if the condition becomes so accuse that a person needs to be rushed to the ER on death bed before the problem could be discovered 
    • Posted

first get the hida scan done to see if its a gallbladder issue. I' having gallbladder pain on and off 8 years and managing with diet, any grease good will cause ache next day and gas. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.