Right side pain by the ribs, under the ribs and bad taste and smell in mouth!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have for the last 20 months or more been suffering from thick mucus in throat and nose and stuffiness that prevents me from having a life. Sinusitis kind of symptoms which no doctors have any clue what might cause the complaints! Six months ago I started experiencing abdominal pain at a regular basis, but I didn´t bother that much about it. The last week the pain has increased significantly, mainly 10 cm under the ribs in the front area, some pain when I pressure the ribs in the front right side, and the pain also radiats to the back on the right side! I havn´t been to detailed axamination for my pain issues yet, something I will probably during the week! I also have had bad bitter taste in my mouth which has become far mor intense the last days! Could there be any connection between the taste and liver issues! I´ve found some articles where they confirm this connection! Not sure what to belive! Anyone whith similar experience? Could it be the gallbladder?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I have very similar symptoms.  A CT scan 3 months ago revealed multiple liver cysts which are benign, as well as nodules in my lungs.  I get the pain you describe, not constantly but at times it is painful enough to keep me awake all night and it is hard to get comfortable either lying or sitting down.  I saw my chest consultant today and asked his advice and he suggested I ask my GP for referral to a liver consultant.  However the GP did blood tests some weeks ago which in her opinion revealed that my liver function is fine.  

The sinusitis has developed over the last two months since I had a heavy cold and I just can't shift the congestion in my nose and throat.  Whether there is any connection with the liver cysts I just don't know.  I'm going to ask at my local pharmacy whether there is an over the counter preparation they could recommend to deal with sinusitis.

• Posted

Hi Sam 

These symptoms sound more likely to be Gall stones ,i had my gallbladder removed 10 years ago after suffering from the same symptons . Wendy

• Posted

Hi Wendy, thanks for your post! I have to ask you, did you also suffer badly from thick mucus, stuffiness, very bad taste and smell from the mucus? These have been mainly the symptoms that have totally crippled me! But now altså this pain in the abs as described!  It´s very much possible that you are right, about this pain!

Thanks!

• Posted

Hi Sam

yes the taste and mucus is bile !!   When the gallbladder becomes blocked by the stones it traps bile in the duct . Sometimes the pain travels into your back and nausea usually occurs the pain is excruciating   

• Posted

Gallstones ruined my life sad I got mine out 7 months ago an haven't been the same since. My pain was mostly on the left side an my mid back would hurt like crazy off an on. I've have thick mucus in my throat every morning even till this day for 9yrs now but it's a lot I spit it up at least 4-5 times before I can fully get it out and will still get thick mucus in throat throughout the day every so often. After I got the surgery I still get what feels like gallbladder attacks without the back pain. I had 20 large stones in my gallbladder and went on like this for 6 months in pain before I had the surgery.

• Posted

Thanks for your response! I still have my gallballder to be closer examined! My biggest issue is the thick mucus which I presume mainly is dripping down back my throat from my nose! It´s made a havoc in my daily life! I can´t breath during sleeping and I walk around like a zombie cause of exhaustion!

Do you know where your mucus came/comes from?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.